Author Topic: Exercise when raining  (Read 254 times)

Offline ember

• Mood: Exhausted
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Exercise when raining
« on: July 13, 2017, 08:08:58 AM »
Normally Max has about 1.5 hours of free running time in a field across the street from my office: chasing balls, free running in and out of trees and bushes and grasses. Today there is a 50% chance of rain every HOUR. This includes thunder and lightening. My work schedule is fairly tight today, so there are limited times where I can commit to 30 minutes at a time. What do I do?

Before I left for work at 7:00 AM, I kicked the ball in the yard and tried to get him to engage in play with my other dog, and yesterday he had more active time than normal, and he's sleeping now, but that won't last for long. It also doesn't help that my husband left my rain boots outside last night and the day before, and they're soaked inside, if not ruined. Is it worth braving the weather and living with wet shoes? And then there's that wet dog smell....

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Exercise when raining
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 09:46:40 AM »
If you're not already, have him do a varying number of obedience commands (I do generally 1-5) to earn the ball toss. Works obedience and focus while expending more physical energy and mental energy too. I don't think chasing a ball is very mentally rigorous on its own. Jubi can chase a ball for an hour easily but if I add in obedience then the time before her brain gets tired is cut in half, if not shorter to like 15-20 minutes at the absolute most. I usually keep ball to less than 5 throws prior to 6pm though, it's just too hot where I am to let her go any more than that.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)