Author Topic: Training puppy to ring (electronic) door Bell  (Read 457 times)

Offline m0mof6

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: curious
Training puppy to ring (electronic) door Bell
« on: July 08, 2017, 11:20:28 PM »
Do I have to bring my puppy out EVERY time he rings the bell? Today we got an electronic dog doorbell to train my puppy to ring it when he has to go potty because he rarely barks. Now he is ringing it every 5 minutes (after coming back inside)!

Offline Punktestern

• Loquacious Member
  • The amazing bouncing ferret!
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
Re: Training puppy to ring (electronic) door Bell
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 11:38:23 PM »
When he rings it, does he get to go out and sniff, or is it straight to the potty spot and back?
Canine Welfare/Training Technician - Guide Dogs for the Blind
Cambrie - Yellow Lab Female - Guide Dogs for the Blind - Completed Phase 8 of 8 - Waiting for a Match!
PM me for Holiday Cards!

Offline m0mof6

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 11:56:05 PM »
I've been doing quick runs but since he always takes a couple of minutes to go it can take up to 5 minutes. I think part of his issue tonight is 1) it's new (Fun) and gets a quicker response them standing quietly at the door, and 2) Some one a couple of blocks away is having a party and he loves music 🎶.

Offline m0mof6

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 12:06:39 AM »
He's only 11 (almost 12) weeks old so he doesn't have the potty thing down pat yet. Much less distinction between potty time and outdoor playtime. (No fence so he is either on leash or on tie-out with us outside with non-profit we do not leave him outside by himself ever.)

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 01:55:06 AM »
Yes, you have to take him every time if you want him to continue ringing the bell when he needs to go out.  But don't just open the door and let him out.  Make the bell mean only one thing:  "I need to go to the bathroom."  To do that, you have to put him on leash and go out with him.  Take him to the designated potty area and stand there for five minutes holding the leash and not allowing him to wander or play, and without interacting with him yourself unless he poops or potties (in which case you lavish the praise).  The idea is for ringing the bell to go out to get boring results unless he actually needs to go.

If the bell means "open the door" he's going to want in and out, in and out, all the time because there's a lot more to going out the door than just going to potty.  He can go out to chase a rabbit or track a squirrel.  He can go out to sniff or dig or play.  He can go out to see what the neighbors are up to.  He can go out any time "out" seems more interesting or fun than "in."  And he can change his mind over and over again.  But if the bell means going to the potty area and standing around doing nothing, absolutely nothing but waiting to potty, then he'll cut back on the extraneous bell ringing because he's only being reinforced for doing it when he pees or poops.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline m0mof6

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 12:46:23 PM »
I figured. :LOL: I was hoping someone would tell me I didn't have to. After He finally went potty last night he went into his crate so He would go to sleep and not continue ringing the bell. He LOVES the bell. Only rang it 2-3 times this morning that he did not actually go potty (although he was in his crate for an hour while we were at church) so much better than last night when he was ringing every 5 minutes. :smile: He picks up things much faster than I expect. 

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 01:05:55 PM »
It might help to crate him if you return without pottying.  Wait 15 minutes and then back out to the potty zone for 5, crate for 15, zone for 5, etc until he actually does go.

Sometimes they think they need to go, then forget or get distracted.  When this happens you can sometimes get waste products deposited inside when they remember (or another bell ring). 

Sometimes they need inspiration which is why having a designated zone can help (the odors of past efforts lingers there).  Now the one thing with using a potty zone is that it is important to also toilet elsewhere, on an assortment of appropriate surfaces, so he'll be willing to potty where invited when you are away from home.

I speed up pottying on command with a high value reward, which for my guys is a ball toss.  This "potty the instant you hit the turf" message was so ingrained in my girls that when I told Luna to "potty" she would squat with a serious look on her face for several seconds and fake pee when she didn't need to go but wanted the toss.  I figured it took as much effort to fake pee as to actually pee, so I accepted her subterfuge.  In my experience boy dogs cannot fake pee, but they're also usually very willing to pee on invitation, especially once they start lifting.  Smile.  I just remembered an incident in her old age when Luna got a UTI and the vet asked me for a urine sample.  I asked if he had two minutes and a cup and his eyes got big.  "You mean she does it on command?"  And of course she did.  Good girl.

For anyone reading this who is new to "potty on command," it's pretty easy to teach.  Each time you see pup preparing to pee (starting the squat or lift) quietly in a neutral tone give the cue (I use "go potty," very original, I know), then as soon as they finish reward.  Pretty soon they start to associate the cue with the act and you can test it to see if they anticipate by offering the cue when you know they need to go but they haven't yet squatted, to see if they respond by squatting.  Then you have to remain calm during the act (maybe give quiet, calm praise, if they're used to it) and then a big pee-pee party and dance as soon as they finish.  Vigorous praise during the act can disrupt the act, so use calm, quiet encouraging praise that they've come to understand means "keep going, you're doing awesome."
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest