Author Topic: It's that time.  (Read 1569 times)

Offline Punktestern

• Loquacious Member
  • The amazing bouncing ferret!
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
  • SDC interest: curious
It's that time.
« on: July 06, 2017, 11:28:28 PM »
Cambrie had her final evaluation today. We just barely missed the date for her being on the July recall (mainly because of scheduling her final evaluation, the list had to be finalized last week and he couldn't come out here until this week), although her evaluator said he would have put her on that list immediately had it worked out.

So unless something drastically changes, she'll be returning to GDB on the weekend of August 12th. Right now, she's still intact so she'll technically be entering on breeder watch, although we'll see how long she stays in that section. X- P

It's not a shock, per se, because my leaders and I knew it was most likely going to be either July or August, but it's almost official now. We'll see what the next step has in store for her! So yeah. That's what the bagel dog is up to.
Canine Welfare/Training Technician - Guide Dogs for the Blind
Cambrie - Yellow Lab Female - Guide Dogs for the Blind - Completed Phase 8 of 8 - Waiting for a Match!
PM me for Holiday Cards!

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: It's that time.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 12:39:16 AM »
That's so exciting for her! It's been fun to watch her go from teeny puppy to maturing young adult dog.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline Punktestern

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 01:02:40 AM »
That's so exciting for her! It's been fun to watch her go from teeny puppy to maturing young adult dog.

Yeah! She's always so good at the evaluations, and our community field rep (local GDB employee) loves her.
Cambrie - Yellow Lab Female - Guide Dogs for the Blind - Completed Phase 8 of 8 - Waiting for a Match!
PM me for Holiday Cards!

Online Sheenar

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Brain fog
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 09:25:06 AM »
How exciting!! She's all grown up!

Thank you so much for puppy raising! I know it's probably bittersweet when it's time for the pup to move on to the next phase.
Sheena, Zeus, and Marzipan Anne the Kitty of Doom
http://thereisachronichope.blogspot.com/

Online Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 06:39:37 PM »
Oh, she's growing up too fast! I'm really going to miss all the Cambrie stories :cry:

Congrats on her passing her evaluation, though! You've done a really good job with her. She's going to be an amazing service dog.
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline Punktestern

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 11:59:25 PM »
How exciting!! She's all grown up!

Thank you so much for puppy raising! I know it's probably bittersweet when it's time for the pup to move on to the next phase.

Oh, she's growing up too fast! I'm really going to miss all the Cambrie stories :cry:

Congrats on her passing her evaluation, though! You've done a really good job with her. She's going to be an amazing service dog.

Thank you guys! <3 I'm sure you'll get at least a few more stories about her. I really hope whoever ends up with her (be it as a breeder custodian, a blind handler, another SD handler, or her pet family) keeps in contact so I know what she's up to, but it's ultimately their choice and I'll respect what they choose.

It's very bittersweet, especially now that I have a date. Before it was an abstract of 'oh, she'll probably go back around then', but when our CFR confirmed it, it just made it real, I guess. I've found myself counting now - 5 weeks left.

At least, I have a plan to help a little bit with the transition. She's been a fixture at my home in Davis, which is where I've raised her. My lease expires at the end of August anyway, so I'll either be at my new job (if I have one by then), or I'll be moving back to my parents' house for a little bit. I think not being in this space, where she is a pretty permanent fixture, will help a little bit, at least with how my mind works (if that makes sense?). I noticed it when she was in season - It was hard being here, because this room was set up for her, and every corner of it has dog stuff. My family home doesn't have that same connection, even though she's been there for visits.
PM me for Holiday Cards!

Offline NMA

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 12:35:13 AM »
Congrats, and thank you for puppyraising!

the way GDB does their recall process is interesting - do other factors besides age from the evaluations factor in? do dogs ever fail their evaluations? My friend had one dog who was released before even going back to campus for training at another program due to fear - a bunch of that litter had issues, clearly something with that breeding!)

Offline Punktestern

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 12:43:30 AM »
Congrats, and thank you for puppyraising!

the way GDB does their recall process is interesting - do other factors besides age from the evaluations factor in? do dogs ever fail their evaluations? My friend had one dog who was released before even going back to campus for training at another program due to fear - a bunch of that litter had issues, clearly something with that breeding!)

Yes, there's a number of factors. Age is one of them, and breeder status is another (Sometimes the breeder eval 'section' is full but training isn't, for example, so they'll recall more spayed/neutered dogs that are going straight to training). If there's issues that need another bit of work, they'll usually recall slightly later than if they're on top of their game, or sometimes they'll transfer the dog to a different raiser for a month to work on some issues before a recall.

Yes, it is possible to 'fail' an evaluation, although in reality, evaluations are just the GDB representative (our community field rep/CFR) coming out and observing the dog and working the dog. Usually, it's a nail in the coffin, but it's not the only thing. If a dog has an off day, they don't get dropped. If they're distracted, and management/training doesn't seem to be working, they will be dropped before they go back (we've had three dogs dropped in the past six months for various reasons, all before they were recalled). Actually, in talking to our CFR, they tend to notice those problems before recall, and drops while in formal training (AKA after recall) are lower now, because they do tend to drop dogs before they're recalled.

So in summary - By my experience, yes, lots of factors. X- P And yes, you can 'fail' but in reality it's just a part of the overall picture that GDB tries to get of its dogs. It's a call made in conjunction with the leaders who see the dogs much more regularly, and usually comes after management and training aren't working.
PM me for Holiday Cards!

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 12:46:37 AM »
Congratulations on doing a great job but also I'm so sorry for your loss.  I mean I know you knew from the start that she would be going back but that doesn't mean you don't get attached and feel a loss when it actually happens.  Thank you for doing this despite the cost to you, not only in time and work but emotionally.  You've done a good thing.  HUGS.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Punktestern

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 01:00:50 AM »
Congratulations on doing a great job but also I'm so sorry for your loss.  I mean I know you knew from the start that she would be going back but that doesn't mean you don't get attached and feel a loss when it actually happens.  Thank you for doing this despite the cost to you, not only in time and work but emotionally.  You've done a good thing.  HUGS.

Thank you, Kirsten. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your words.
PM me for Holiday Cards!

Offline Punktestern

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 05:04:38 PM »
Eh, I'll bump this one instead of making a new post.

Cambrie went back today. If anyone wants to see photos, here's a few: http://imgur.com/a/ESdr9 If you're on Facebook, you've possibly already seen them. :- ) Sister Callie went back yesterday but they're in different kennels - Cambrie is still on breeder evaluation, while Callie is already spayed and will start her training after settling in.
PM me for Holiday Cards!

Online Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 05:22:23 PM »
Ooohhh, bye Cambrie!! I'll really miss her.

I hope you're okay, Punk.
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline Candy3

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 06:00:42 PM »
I feel sorry for you and Cambrie. My heart actually hurts for Cambrie, seeing her in that kennel and knowing she won't be with you. But, I don't know what the program is actually like. Maybe Cambrie is doing just fine.

Offline servicedoginwaiting

• Mood: Tired
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 06:53:49 PM »
Oh why are people cutting onions all around me??? I suspect you're proud of your girl but also will miss her. The whole thing breaks my heart, I wish it could be different somehow but I know it can't. I'm sorry Punktestern, I hope you're doing ok.

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 07:01:44 PM »
Thank you for what you've done Punk, without people like you there wouldn't be big, strong programs providing reliable and well trained dogs.

I know that you probably miss Cambrie but you've done a great service to a person with a disability by supporting GDB.

Good job!  :doublethumbup:
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!