Author Topic: Question about puppies and BMs  (Read 450 times)

Offline m0mof6

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: curious
Question about puppies and BMs
« on: July 06, 2017, 10:51:13 PM »
How often should an 11 week old puppy poop? Geo, my puppy 🐕, generally goes about 3-4 hours after he eats. We feed him 3 times a day so he usually goes 3 times a day with the occasional 4th time. Today he went at 9:30 this morning and hasn't gone since despite lots of walking, playing, fetch, etc - activities that usually encourage him to go. He's acting fine and has not even tried to poop. He's eating, drinking, and peeing normally. I'm not really worried but My husband is starting to get concerned so I said I would ask.

Online Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Question about puppies and BMs
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 12:35:25 AM »
If all else is normal including attitude and activity level, it's generally okay to wait 24 hours before calling the vet about something like this which may be simple constipation.  You can also try home treatment (some canned pumpkin, not pumpkins pie filling).  I'd also listen to his tummy for normal gut sounds and feel the tummy for swelling or hardness.

Most likely it's a little constipation but it's remotely possible it's something like bloat.  You'd expect him to stop eating with bloat and look like he feels miserable.  If he stops eating and/or starts sniffing at, poking, or otherwise paying attention to his stomach as if it is bothering him, then I'd err on the side of caution and at least call the vet for advice on whether he needs to go in.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline m0mof6

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 09:36:20 AM »
Thanks, he went poop this morning about 8. Looked normal.

Online Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 10:13:38 AM »
That was five posts, so you should no longer be on moderation.  Thanks for your patience with our anti spam procedure.  :wink:
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline m0mof6

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 01:45:46 PM »
That might help get questions answered faster :wink: I definitely understand the anti-spam stuff.