Author Topic: Rotating Toys  (Read 399 times)

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Rotating Toys
« on: July 05, 2017, 02:02:17 PM »
I wasn't sure exactly where to post this, but as it's about stewardship and mental stimulation I thought this area might be okay.

So my mom recently decided that we should cycle our dog's toys around. We're going to get a box with a lid for the toys that are not 'out', and keep the rest in a little basket in the family room.

My question is how should we rotate them? Should we keep half out and half put away, and switch them? Should we have a certain percentage of the amount of toys set out and the rest put away? Should we just rotate a few at a time, rather than storing a lot of them (i.e. two or three taken away and the rest out). Or vice versa, should only a few be left out and the rest stored away?

I just don't know where to start with this. If you guys rotate toys, how do you do it? What's your method?
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Rotating Toys
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 02:08:54 PM »
I do this. I don't particularly have a method to it, but I tend to leave out about 4 bones/antlers/Benebones (one more than each dog) and about 2 toys. The toys are more or less all rubber because Rocko will ingest anything with stuffing, squeakers, or fabric. I don't do full swaps, but partial swaps. So I might swap 2 chews and 1 toy at a time. If an antler or bone gets chewed down to the point that it's no longer safe, I swap only the one out and save the nubs for Jubi's breeder's Toy Fox Terriers.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline polarmouse

• Mood: Hyper
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 02:18:01 PM »
I definitely rotate Zoee's toys. She gets bored very easily and always gets excited when we get a "new" toy out. The only thing she really loves is her wubbles, the Kongs that are wrapped and have the little fabric "arms" coming down, and we have to give them to her supervised or she will eat the fabric. Sometimes she will sit by the shelf where the toy basket is and stare at it.

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 02:58:21 PM »
Our dogs have about half a million stuffed animal toys. They don't intentionally rip them apart or eat the fabric, but if the toy does get abused enough (over time of being pulled on and shook and caught), they do rip the stuffing and squeaker out. They don't eat it though, it just leaves a huge mess. We collect all the stuffing and take the toy away. Then, when I get around to it, I restuff it and sew the toy up. I truly spoil my dogs :rolleyes:.

I'm thinking maybe I should categorize how many of each type of toy they have before figuring out a system. I like the idea of two chewables per dog. I would just need to figure out a system for balls, rubber, and stuffed toys as well.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 03:01:17 PM »
One more chew toy than there are dogs in the house.
One more ball than there are dogs in the house.
One more plushie than there are dogs who like plushies unless you have one who guts plushies.

Three toys per dog plus anti-dispute backups (the one extra of each kind), should be sufficient.

The longer its been since they've seen the toy, the more joyful they'll be when it returns.

You can also designate some toys as yours only, which means they can only play with them in interactive games with you.  And you can designate some, such as tugs, as training rewards so they only get them for good efforts in training.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Autismdoggirl

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Weird
  • SDC interest: waiting
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 04:41:02 PM »
I normally keep out 2-3 balls
One plushie
At least one kong
A chewy
And a rope or tss toy

Then sometimes I keep half out I switch it around depending on mood season space needed exact
Nimrodel(nim row dell)  and Aragorn http://nonspeakingnotsilent.blogspot.com/ Lorien 3/5/05-10/14/14

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 05:14:19 PM »
Okay, I know how many of each type of toy they're going to get at one time. Now I just need to figure out how often to rotate them around.

I feel like weekly would be too often, but monthly might be too long (they might get bored of the ones that are out). I think I'd have trouble remembering to do it bi-weekly, or every three weeks. So I'm a bit stumped on the timing. What do you guys suggest?

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 05:19:21 PM »
How about changing one toy each week instead of all of them?  So if you go with something like my three toy per dog plan, you'd replace the chew toys one week, the balls the next week, and the plushies the week after that.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 05:47:03 PM »
I kind of just change out whenever I think to do so. That or whenever the stuff out is seeing less action. So every few weeks, but no set schedule. The toy set my dogs are allowed is pretty bland. I've got an assortment of rubber toys but that's about it. No stuffies or squeakers for Rocko, no balls for Jubi because all balls live outside and only come out to play with supervision. There's an abundance of chewables though. I have deer, elk and a moose antler, several shapes and flavors of Benebones, multiple large smoked bones, a water buffalo horn, and this Busy Buddy Jack that the dogs all seem to like. I guess the variety of chews makes me feel better about being able to only offer such a sparse selection of toys.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)