Author Topic: Do I qualify for a service dog  (Read 581 times)

Offline Takoda

• Newly arrived
Do I qualify for a service dog
« on: July 03, 2017, 01:27:13 PM »
Many people in my family and my psychologist say I qualify for a service dog but I am still self conscious and do not want to cross the line if I really do not. My psychologist thinks I qualify for PTSD and anxiety disorder. A little back history: I am now 48. I had an extremely severe speech impediment and anxiety when I was younger but now most people just ask me where I am from because it has improved and I sound like I have an accent. As a child my family moved every year or 2 . I was extremely verbally and physically bullied from k-12 in school which was total hell . I have one biological son who has multiple disabilities that include autism/dandy walker variant/ tics etc. and must be on many anti psychotic medications. He was very violet as a child (many holes in walls, melt downs that would escalate uncontrollably if interfered/ no understanding of authority/ screaming/ headbanging and self harm) and had a service dog that we took part in training at an organization in Pennsylvania that was certified in search and tracking for my son after over a year of very intensive training. The dog was fantastic but I found more comfort in the dog than my son. When my son was 4 and before he was started on medication I tried to overdose on ambien because with my past history and the constant stress and never knowing what was coming next It became too much. I have not tried again. I have chronic insomnia and it took years of help from the right psychiatrist to find the right medication that helps me sleep. Even on the medication I am a super light sleeper my body having been trained to be constantly on alert. I have been isolated most of my life first because of the bullying and the anxiety and other issues that created and than because of having a special child. I am able to go to the market and do basic stuff but I am unable to just take a walk (without my standard poodle) or get on any public transit because of my anxiety. I drove my son and adopted daughter to Texas this summer but I had to bring my standard poodle with me. I have been training animals my whole life (felt more comfortable around animals growing up than people for obvious reasons). I have trained my poodle since she was 8 weeks old and she now excels in novice and is extremely well behaved in every place I have taken her (I have not yet officially called her a service dog). She keeps me grounded, and helps lesson my panic attacks.

Would the people on this forum please tell me if they think I qualify for a service dog and if my poodle would qualify as a service dog.  I am very insecure. Even though my psychologist (having never met my dog) and my family--parents, sister who is a social worker, and husband think we qualify I still feel a need for others opinion.  Would I be wrong to call my dog a service dog.

Offline ccunnin3

• Little Win Guru
  • Old Timer
  • Nicer Once You Get To Know Her
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Do I qualify for a service dog
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 05:04:55 PM »
We cannot tell you if you qualify for a service dog. To qualify you must be disabled, and you need to speak with your doctors to determine that.

I can tell you that your dog must be trained in specific actions (tasks) that mitigate your disability in order to be considered a service dog. Emotional support and comfort do not count as tasks. A dog who's function is to provide emotional support is called an Emotional Support Animal and has access to housing and airplanes but not general public access.
Caitlin and AIRLIE
My Blog

Offline PaperVoice24

• That Writer Guy
  • Life would be a tragedy if it weren't funny
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: curious
Re: Do I qualify for a service dog
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 05:12:05 PM »
Would the people on this forum please tell me if they think I qualify for a service dog...

We get this question all the time. The answer will always the same: We can't do that. All we can do is inform you of the legal criterion: You must be considered disabled under the ADA. This means you must have a condition which substantially impairs your ability to perform Major Life Activities, which include but are not limited to:
  • Walking
  • Seeing
  • Hearing
  • Communicating
  • Bending
  • Lifting
  • Performing manual tasks (grasping, pulling, twisting, etc.)
  • Thinking
  • Concentrating
  • Learning

Your treating physicians can help you determine if you are disabled under ADA criterion.

Would I be wrong to call my dog a service dog?

You would be wrong to do so if you are not disabled, and/or if your dog has not been trained to perform a task relevant to your disability which mitigates your impairment.
Be gentle with yourself, for you are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.