Author Topic: I have a question  (Read 343 times)

Offline Raymond078

• Newly arrived
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: curious
I have a question
« on: July 03, 2017, 09:02:09 AM »
My name is Raymond G i'm 28 and about 3 years ago, I was in a very bad car accident that left me being a quadriplegic. I'm living with my parents as of now but I want to get out on my own. I'm here to try and get help in getting a service (assistance) dog or a mobility assistance dog. I live in Alabama and from what I looked up there's not much here, so any advice or help I will be very thankful for.    :trx: :trx: :trx:

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: I have a question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 11:52:07 AM »
Hi Raymond, welcome aboard!

Here's our article on steps to take to find a service dog program or trainer:  http://servicedogcentral.org/content/node/262

It includes links to various lists of providers organized by state and/or by states they cover. 

Out of curiosity, do you have some use of your arms?  I'm trying to anticipate how a program might approach working with a quad.  I think helper monkeys (home use only) from Helping Hands is a popular option for quads because of their dexterity.  A dog could open doors and turn on lights, but couldn't help with things like eating, hygiene, or manipulating things like TVs.  I think handling a dog without at least partial use of a hand or foot might be problematic and require some non-standard protocols in training and handling, perhaps a backup handler.  I mention this because some programs may not be equipped to meet your needs which might mean needing to look further from home for a program or possibly working with a private trainer.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest