Author Topic: spin off on thread of thunder shirt - my dog's reaction to storms  (Read 225 times)

Offline ember

• Mood: Exhausted
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
 :sad:
I have a 13 year old lab, whom we've had since she was a puppy. She never used to be bothered by storms or fireworks, but in the last year, she's taken to hiding behind a rocking chair, shaking. It breaks my heart.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: spin off on thread of thunder shirt - my dog's reaction to storms
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 05:29:09 PM »
Dogs can develop sound sensitivity as they age.  A thunder shirt, calming cap, or DAP product might help.  Cole developed his discomfort with loud noises at about age four.  He didn't like thunder, gun fire, or the cracking of bull whips.  Well, "didn't like" is not accurate.  He was uncomfortable in the presence of them.  Did his hearing change?  Did his auditory processing change?  Did he have a bad experience?  I don't know what caused it.  I just know that he expressed stress when these sounds were present.  Not over the top stress, but enough to make me want to help him.  For thunder storms I did TTouch and it really helped him.  That was all he needed.  And he got to the point where he'd come to me, even when I was asleep in bed and position himself to receive massage and I'd start even if half asleep.  I've known other dogs who were much more severely affected and it's heartbreaking.

Oh, another thing I've used is Tranquil-Tabs, an herbal tranquilizer.  I use that for Ruby, my reactive dog, or did use it during her rehab.  She hasn't needed any for a long time but a long walk and two tabs would knock her out flat.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest