Author Topic: A Big Yes For Thundershirt  (Read 266 times)

Offline BillBRNC

• Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: SD partner
A Big Yes For Thundershirt
« on: July 02, 2017, 08:08:43 AM »
I tried it on my Doc last night during the fireworks at a nearby country club. We were at home, but the country club is across the valley from us, and the noise is very noticeable. We can see the fireworks fairly good too. Anyway, my Doc is really anxious and fearful around fireworks, so I got the Thundershirt a couple weeks ago for the 4th of July fireworks. We have two more nights of them at nearby locations. Anyway, Doc just rested on his mat through the whole thing, with no sign of being bothered by anything. I still find it hard to believe, but I'm glad as can be. I know this has been discussed before here, but I just wanted to say the thing worked for Doc.
Every Day I Wake Up Is A Good Day

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: A Big Yes For Thundershirt
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 08:22:59 AM »
DAP products (one brand name is "Comfort Zone") can also be very helpful.  Glad the thunder shirt worked will for Doc.  You might take this opportunity to layer on some counter conditioning.  Each time you hear fireworks, use that as a predictor of something good.  For example, Cole didn't like thunder storms.  He didn't go nuts or anything, but you could see he was uncomfortable (stiffer neck muscles, distracted).  So everytime there was a thunder storm I'd get very excited and run outside to play.  At first he'd just stand in the door looking at me like I was nuts, but eventually he decided to join me.  Thunderstorms became a predictor of fun games.  It didn't make his concerns completely go away, but it did make them decrease.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline BillBRNC

• Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 09:07:45 AM »
Great idea, Kirsten. Thanks. I had not thought of it for fireworks, but I do something similar with huge trucks that have air brakes. Doc gets nervous and uncomfortable when they go past us very close, so I've started saying great truck, what a great truck and getting excited about it, then I treat him after it passes. It seems to have helped a whole lot, but there is little to do if a trucker deliberately stops close to us, then sets off the airbrakes. Believe it or not, this has happed twice, both times with road pavers working for the town. I called the Town Manager each time, and he says he went to the owner of the company and complained. Anyway, I never thought of using this kind of approach for fireworks, don't know why, but I just haven't. Thanks again.
Every Day I Wake Up Is A Good Day

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 03:06:54 PM »
Az gets clingy during thunderstorms. He doesn't stress or cry or anything, he just follows you from room to room and makes sure part of him is touching you.

We have hurricanes here so he has to deal with prolonged thunder a few times a year. A lot of times I just put a sweater on him and that helps him feel better. I don't think he'd like a thunder shirt because he hates full body gear like coolers and stuff.
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!