Author Topic: Ears!  (Read 529 times)

Offline MusicTeach2013

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Excited
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Ears!
« on: June 20, 2017, 05:33:27 AM »
I feel so sorry for Axel. His ears are running. They are mass producing brown nasty liquid down inside them.

He has been treated for bacterial and yeast ear infections within the last month and a half and tested clear of that. He is also taking allergy medication. While the allergy medicine seems to have helped his skin itching, his eyes still run and his ears are still awful.

His ears do not stink, but when you rub them you can hear the liquid sloshing around. He will let you rub them a bit but some places are clearly painful because he will yelp when you rub them.

I have tried plucking hair from his ears. I have tried using an ear rinse in an attempt to get the gunk out. I have tried q-tips and cotton palls and tissues to try to absorb some of the liquid. Most recently I tried some ear canker powder but that just seems to have thickened the goop and made his ears produce even more liquid.

Also, it seems to be worse in the mornings than any other part of the day. He shakes his head, rubs his head against things, and scratches his ears until he hurts himself and whines and yelps.

I'm probably going to call the vet again (we have been twice about his ears in the last month and a half) but I wanted to see if anybody on the forum had any similar experience.
Don't worry, by the time I hit the floor I'm already on my way back up. (syncope problems)
Amelia (human) and Axel (Standard Poodle washed prospect)

Offline mommagrizzly

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Ears!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 04:48:06 PM »
Poor baby. I don't have any advice. I hope the vet gets it figured out and he is feeling better soon.
Do what you think you can't do
Keturah's FB Page
PM me about being pen pals

Online Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 03:07:57 AM »
I've had really good experience with Zymox, the ear care brand. They have a gel for infections that you put in and smoosh around in the canal then just leave it. Don't wipe it out (can wipe excess), just leave it. It did super well when my boy was having recurrent infections. It broke the cycle and he's not had one in a long time.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline MusicTeach2013

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Excited
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 08:58:08 PM »
I put this same info on a Facebook page for Standard Poodle owners and got a lot of advice too.

I have ordered a Zymox product with hydrocortisone in it. I also ordered stuff to mix "purple ear medicine" that people were suggesting and swear by.

One bit of advice I got repeatedly was to change Axel's food, but that is easier said than done until we move. My grandpa takes pride in handling most of Axel's meals but is impossible to instruct. He will ask me what needs to be done to help Axel's ears but when I tell him anything, he promptly declares it bull- :poo: and refuses to do it. I'm hoping when we move I can steal all food and treats from their house and only replace it with things that won't bother Axel, but until that day I'm going to keep trying these things in an attempt to smooth them. I feel like I'm just treating the symptoms when I need to be treating the cause, but hopefully I will be able to treat the cause very soon.
Don't worry, by the time I hit the floor I'm already on my way back up. (syncope problems)
Amelia (human) and Axel (Standard Poodle washed prospect)

Offline dontaggravation

• Mood: Okay
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 01:55:37 PM »
Add one more vote for Zymox from me!   I've had great luck and success with it.

Best of luck; hate when they are sick.

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 11:33:48 PM »
Yup, I have a little bottle of Zymox as well but have not had to use it yet since she hasn't had an infection since I got the bottle. Since Cindi is a standard poodle, I will just tell you how I treat her ears. I dunno, it might be helpful.

First off, her food was not helping her. I was giving her a food with grain and it seemed to really make her itchy. She's now on a taste of the wild food which is grain free and hasn't had any ear problems since with general upkeep. The powder you are talking about seems to only be really helpful when plucking the ears. It drys the ear out enough that you can pluck the hair with your fingers and actually get a grip. I find one puff in each ear is enough. If you put too much in it can congest the ear and cause issues. I actually just plucked and cleaned Cindi's ears today because they were getting a little itchy. I puffed the powered into her ears like I said and made sure to pluck as much hair as possible. There is now nothing down in hear ear at least. I then cut the hair surrounding the outer part of her ear with grooming scissors. If it won't come out easily by hand it needs to be trimmed. After I used the powder and plucked her ears (and I pluck them slowly so that it feels nice and not painful) then I take a few of those small circular face cotton pads and tear them so they are about half as thick. That way they can easily slide into the dogs ear. I wet each pad with Odi sooth which helps keep bacterial infections at bay and is very soothing for sensitive ears. (as a plus it smells really good) I surround my finger in the pad and really dig down as deep as I can into the ears, being careful but going down deep. I make sure to hold the ear up straight above her head while I'm cleaning so that I have easy access to her ear canal. Once I finish cleaning, I of course remove the cotton and while still holding the ear up, massage her ear canal from the outside. I do this for about thirty seconds, making sure I can hear a squishy sound while I massage it. Once that's done, I put more otismooth on a clean cotton pad and go into her ear again. Massaging the canal once there was cleaner in there should get any dabrees  that were stuck loose enough to pick up on the second pass through. I repeat the process with the other ear. And there you have it! I'm done!

However, if the ears are REALLY bad, which it sound like your poor pup's are, then I do this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4odbAlDRiz0

The one mistake I have made was trying to clean the ears with anything dry. You should only ever dry out ears gently if they have been cleaned first. If not, all you're doing is compacting dabree and setting yourself up for an infection.

I really hope your pup feels better soon! I know ear issues are the worst with these poor guys.
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.