Author Topic: First Aid Kit Ideas  (Read 188 times)

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
First Aid Kit Ideas
« on: June 19, 2017, 01:00:11 PM »
Yesterday my mom and I were shopping at Target and because of certain purchases were able to get a nice first-aid bag for free. I thought it would be cool to have dog first aid stuff as well as human first aid stuff in there for the both of us. I thought I'd make a post to get some ideas as to what should go into the first-aid kits.

Here's what I was thinking of so far:
*Band-aids
*Neosporin (which is safe to use on dogs, right?)
*Quickstop

There are a few other things I feel like might be a good idea, like maybe some kind of bandaging or wrapping, but I'm at a loss as to what it should be (there are different kinds of bandages, it seems, for both human and dog) or even if it's a safe idea for me to bandage something since I don't have experience wrapping bandages.

So anyways, what would you guys put in a first aid kit, both for humans and for dogs?
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline Punktestern

• Loquacious Member
  • The amazing bouncing ferret!
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
  • SDC interest: curious
Re: First Aid Kit Ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 01:03:08 PM »
I always have an unpaired ankle sock in mine when we go hiking or camping. X- P Worst case, it's a foot covering. And my dryer eats socks anyway, so I have a lot of unpaired ankle socks. Although that's also because we don't have booties, so if you had those, they'd probably work better.

If you're in a hot area, one of those cooling packs that you can activate might be useful.
Canine Welfare/Training Technician - Guide Dogs for the Blind
Cambrie - Yellow Lab Female - Guide Dogs for the Blind - Completed Phase 8 of 8 - Waiting for a Match!
PM me for Holiday Cards!

Offline polarmouse

• Mood: Hyper
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: First Aid Kit Ideas
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 01:15:29 PM »
Cooling or heating compresses. The ones you open and shake up.