Author Topic: YouTube: How to Use a Kong Dog Toy - 90% of Behavior Problems Eliminated  (Read 476 times)

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
How to Use a Kong Dog Toy - 90% of Behavior Problems Eliminated

This video gives solid advice on using kong type toys to manage and prevent common behavior problems in dogs.  Principles covered apply to other areas of training as well.

If you've tried using a stuffed kong type toy without success in the past, try this video for advice on making it work with ANY kind of dog (puppy and adult, any breed, any personality type, chow hound or not).

https://youtu.be/LwZI1isnvPQ
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline servicedoginwaiting

• Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Great video, thank you! I've never really used a long before, just didn't seem to need it but Huxley came home with two of them so I've been looking online and he is right, the recipes are pretty intense! Moistening and freezing her own food makes perfect sense :smile:

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
When Tar was a pup I used canned food.  I could fill three kongs with one can of food, which meant three meals per can instead of my usual 2.  (I feed kibble as well.)  I could just chuck a kongcicle in the bowl with the kibble and know he'd be happily busy as a beaver for at least an hour.  It made crate training and chew training easier and even helped with teething (the cold soothed the gums).  Ruby, who was seven at the time enjoyed kongcicles as well just because it was a hot summer and they were refreshing and entertaining.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline ember

• Mood: Exhausted
We tried Kongs, and while he liked them in the beginning, he started ignoring them, even when we changed up the fillings. He would even let the other two dogs have his in addition to theirs. I've seen this video before, and I really wish Max would be into them, but he's just not.  :wacko:

Offline BearNeccessity

One tip I didn't see in the video (although I kinda skimmed it) was if your pup doesn't like it at first, try chucking it in your dirty laundry basket and leaving it there for a few weeks. Especially on new ones, the rubber smell can be offputting. What do dogs like to steal? Dirty socks and underwear, because they smell most like us. Putting the (clean) kong in there helps it smell similar. My parents gave me that tip, and it worked like a charm.

I'm glad they are advocating using the dogs own food in the kong. I always find it silly when people just escalate food values higher and higher and don't know what to do when the value just isn't high enough. We build food drive by making Bear work for pretty much every meal. High value treats have their place for sure, just not super often. Usually, the only treats he gets are bones I give to keep his teeth clean and healthy.