Author Topic: Busy Week For My Doc  (Read 299 times)

Offline BillBRNC

• Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Busy Week For My Doc
« on: June 18, 2017, 09:03:07 AM »
On Wednesday of this week, I took Doc to the Vet to get two shots. One was for Lyme's Disease, the other for a really bad strain of doggie flu that has killed a bunch of dogs in an adjacent state, and a dozen cases found in my state. So the Vets are recommending them this year. Anyway, Doc started feeling poorly the next day, with symptoms I won't go into now. My wife and I took him to the Vet on Friday to see if this was a drug reaction or something else. The Vet took a blood sample for liver enzymes and other stuff. All normal. Doc is improved now, almost back to normal now. What was the cost of the Friday visit to the Vet? $350. They tested the blood at the Vet using an automatic system that took about 10 minutes. Call me crazy, but that seems crazy money to me, but we gladly paid to have comfort in knowing Doc would up and die over the weekend. It seems like it is impossible to go into the Vet for any reason and get out for less than about $150, even when they do little or nothing. I don't really mind the cost, but the principle bothers me. Since Doc is a service dog, I get to deduct his medical expenses, food, toys and everything as a medical expense for me on our taxes, so that helps some. Am I crazy for thinking $350 is high for an exam and blood test?
Every Day I Wake Up Is A Good Day

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Busy Week For My Doc
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 09:07:16 AM »
If it was just a CBt I might look for a new vet. I had one run when serenity was sick last month. Less than 100 including vet visit. I am in the Midwest.

Yikes.
Invisible physical and mental disabilities.
Advanced experience training obedience dogs. Very new to training service dogs.
Current Samoyeds: Rio (11), Cosmo (3), Serenity (SDiT)

Offline polarmouse

• Mood: Hyper
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 11:29:42 AM »
Yes that sounds high to me as well. We had my husbands dog in for Neutering and they did a routine blood panel before the surgery, It came back with a liver something abnormal so they did a full blood panel which cost $85 dollars. He even included the temporary liver pills, a months worth.

I'm glad Doc is feeling better!

Offline JKmelda

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Exhausted
  • SDC interest: curious
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 12:08:34 PM »
I'm glad Doc is doing better too. I always get sick after I get a flue shot, and I'm assuming the same thing can happen in dogs as the weakened or dead virus triggers an immune response in the body.
I've been very low on spoons lately, so I apologize if my posts replies are short and late in coming.

"Can't go over it, Can't go under it, Can't go around it, Got to go through it!"

Offline BillBRNC

• Mood: Brain fog
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies. As we have learned from friends, all the small animal Vets around here are known to have highly inflated pricing. There are a lot of tourists in the area almost all year every year, and the Vets have learned that they can charge almost anything they want. I just try to ignore it, because I don't have a choice. We have spoken with other Vets, and our Vet's prices are not out of line with other Vets in the area. Each Vet seems to have something that is priced low, so they can point to at least one low price, but every Vet seems to have a different service that falls into the low price category. Since I intend to do whatever it takes to keep Doc safe and healthy, I'll just fork over the money for now.
Every Day I Wake Up Is A Good Day

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 01:12:55 PM »
Some vets seriously overprice but some tests are just super expensive. When Saxon was sick and I had her at NCSU there were one or two very specialized blood tests that were around the price range you quoted. Several other tests she had like an abdominal ultrasound and this one liver function test that involved taking her blood every 2 hours for something like 8 hours (not sure I'm totally recalling the total number of hours) were also very pricey. That doesn't sound like what you were getting for Doc. You may have just found a really expensive vet.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline Irie feeling

• Mood: Okay
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 05:42:19 PM »
Blood work on dogs is insanely expensive. The laboratories take advantage of the fact that there is no insurance. Remember, people got insurance so it's cheaper., dogs don't. That exam was probably $75-100.?
Prevention is the key. Good food, no eating varmint poop in yard, etc, etc, flea and tick prevention , heart work pills, yadda yadda.