Author Topic: Foxtails  (Read 541 times)

Offline BearNeccessity

• SDC interest: owner-trainer
Foxtails
« on: June 16, 2017, 01:12:55 PM »
A friendly reminder if you live in an area with foxtails to be checking your dogs paws/belly for them every single day this time of year. I didn't even know they were a thing when we first moved, but our vet thankfully puts some pretty gnarly pictures and a warning to check up on facebook every year.

Offline Solace

• Mood: Tired
Re: Foxtails
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 01:15:41 PM »
My mom just brought in one of her dogs for surgery for a a foxtail in her paw this morning.  This will be the second surgery this year.   :cry:  The last one was in her chest.  They're everywhere here.  It's awful.

Offline polarmouse

• Mood: Hyper
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 01:40:47 PM »
Also those prickys they have in Texas are horrible this time of year too. My daughters dogs are constantly getting those no matter how much she tries to keep her years raked.

Offline BearNeccessity

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 10:59:49 AM »
This years picture used contrast dye to show one that had travelled from between the toes all the way up to almost the dogs elbow. Those things are evil. Solace - hope your moms dog has a quick and easy recovery.

Online Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 04:06:02 PM »
Yikes. I didn't know what a foxtail was until I googled.

We only have an issue with sandspurs here. They're more of an issue for people who have long coated dogs like goldens and poodles because they cling to the fur and can cause mats, they don't usually embed themselves in actual skin.
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline Solace

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 04:19:56 PM »
Solace - hope your moms dog has a quick and easy recovery.

Thank you.  She came through surgery okay.  The vet found 2 that had entered through the skin of her paw and worked their way up the inside of her leg.  Those things travel so much once inside a dog.  It's scary!