Author Topic: How do I convince my parents an Assistance Dog(Service Dog)is the right decision  (Read 449 times)

Offline Harris

• Newly arrived
  • SDC interest: waiting
So I'm in England, hence the Assistance Dog thing. Both my mum and I have EDS but she is stubborn as all else and as a result she won't even let me have a walking stick despite falling often and being in pretty much constant pain because she believes that her being worse and not using aids means I can get by without. I'm going to be bringing it up to my OT but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how to convince her.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
If you can't convince them of letting you have a cane I don't think there's much chance of convincing them about an assistance dog.

I suppose the best approach I can think of is to go through your medical providers and ask them to speak to your parents about mitigating your disability.  Otherwise, you pretty much have to wait until you are a legal adult and can make such decisions on your own.  It sucks, but there it is.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest