Author Topic: Condo board rejects therapist letter  (Read 469 times)

Offline adv10

• Newly arrived
  • SDC interest: curious
Condo board rejects therapist letter
« on: June 08, 2017, 10:30:25 AM »
Hi there,

I live in a "no pet" policy building. I had just moved over from England in December 2016 and was having problems in the new country. A friend told me i should get a ESA letter online as its easy to obtain (without realising that i was actually in need i thought this maybe the quickest way). i got the letter and handed in to my real estate agent who is acting on behalf of my landlord and he instantly rejected it. I then started seeing a therapist locally and she wrote me a letter to have my dog come over from England to live with me. I handed it into my real estate agent in February and he rejected the request again. He said the landlord wanted an additional 1 months deposit and also have authorisation to talk to my therapist moving forward.  i wasn't willing to comply as didn't want people having access to my personal/medical records. And i didn't want to pay another months rent for deposit.
After not answering any of my emails i received confirmation from building manager that the landlord had granted the request and that is now up to the condo board to make the decision. The condo board rejected my letter and said they need to speak to my therapist moving forward. I feel like I'm facing a loosing battle and no one is cooperating and helping my situation.

Both parties have been bullying me that if i have my support animal in the apartment before every party has accepted then i will face fines.

It has been 3 months since i handed in the initial request and I'm really struggling. Will i get fined if i just bring my ESA over?

Please HELP!!!!

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Condo board rejects therapist letter
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 01:58:29 PM »
What country?  To the best of my knowledge the only country that legally recognizes an accommodation for emotional support animals is the US.  In the absence of any law laying out requirements for the country you are in, then you would have to negotiate any accommodation yourself.  If they are under no legal obligation they are free to agree or not and if they want additional information as a condition of agreeing, they can require it.

You made your position weak by starting with a fake letter and no history of treatment.  A lot of people try to use disability laws to get around pet rules and both the disability community and landlords are pretty fed up with it.  If this happened in the US, they already have enough to win against you in court, so in answer to your question can they fine you, yes.  They can also evict you.  In the US, where there is a law concerning the keeping of ESAs in "no pets" housing they can even do it and your only real recourse would be to move out, find someplace where you can have your pet and then sue the former landlord for damages. 

I can't think of any situation where moving the animal in despite being told not to is going to improve the situation or outcome.  I mean think about it.  They tell you not to X and then you X anyway.  Is that going to result in a good relationship with your landlord?  No.  So when your sink clogs up or your toilet overflows are you going to be nearer the top of the repair list or nearer the bottom.  When you need something from the landlord, how much will they want to cooperate with you after you didn't cooperate with them?  You also have to consider whether you are otherwise an absolutely perfect tenant because once you have a bad relationship with your landlord any tiny thing you do to annoy them can be used to justify terminating your lease (and then you have the trouble and expense of finding a new place and moving). 

It's far far better to remain on good terms with any landlord of a residence you intend to remain in.  Don't burn your bridges.

And if you don't know what your legal rights are where you are living now, contact a qualified attorney, solicitor, etc. for competent advice.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest