Author Topic: chicken allergy?  (Read 531 times)

Offline ember

• Mood: Exhausted
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
chicken allergy?
« on: June 03, 2017, 07:02:06 AM »
My vet suggested that Max may have an allergy to the main protein source of his dog food - which happens to be chicken. Can anyone suggest a decent food that doesn't have chicken? She also has us trying Benadryl.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
Re: chicken allergy?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 02:11:56 PM »
Cole was allergic to chicken which is in nearly every freaking commercial dog food.

ProPlan Salmon and Rice is chicken free.

In Cole's case it turns out he really hated fish.  All of my other dogs think Salmon and Rice is tasty and they eat it happily, but not the one dog I needed to feed it to.  Since his allergy was mild (mostly just watery eyes) I let him eat chicken and rice as he wished.  Later (after Cole's passing) my supply changed so that I had to choose between Lamb and Rice and Salmon and Rice and I had an aversion to feeding lamb, so I fed salmon, and continue to feed it most of the time.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline ember

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 10:09:28 AM »
My husband bought the proplan savor with beef and rice, but then I read on the ingredients that it does in fact have poultry byproduct.

I'll try the salmon and rice. Thank you!

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 11:18:49 AM »
Yeah, most commercial dog food contains chicken, even if that isn't the main flavor or protein source.  In all of the proplan line, there are only two that are chicken free, the salmon and rice (also called sensitive stomach) and their vegetarian product.  All of the others (not including prescription diets) contain some chicken.  This is not unique to Purina.  It's true of every one of the half dozen or so brands I would consider feeding my dogs that are available locally.

People freak out about corn being in dog food because some dogs are allergic to it.  Actually more dogs are allergic to chicken than to corn, but that doesn't get much press because it doesn't fit the marketing narative of so-called "grain-free" products.

I'm vegetarian but I personally do not believe in feeding a dog a vegetarian diet even though they can do well on it.  Certainly I would if that is what the dog needed to thrive, but I'm not going to impose my dietary restrictions on my dog as a matter of principle.  While classified as carnivores taxinomically, their diets are actually omnivorous.  They aren't meant to eat either a vegetarian diet or an obligate carnivore diet.  They're designed to eat and thrive on a wide variety of food items from both the plant and animal kingdoms.  Cats are obligate carnivores (they must eat a meat centered diet).
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline ember

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 11:52:28 AM »

People freak out about corn being in dog food because some dogs are allergic to it.  Actually more dogs are allergic to chicken than to corn, but that doesn't get much press because it doesn't fit the marketing narative of so-called "grain-free" products.

This is exactly what my vet said.