Author Topic: Cindi Smacked Her Head Into the Wall  (Read 556 times)

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Cindi Smacked Her Head Into the Wall
« on: June 02, 2017, 05:52:22 PM »
  This might be silly, but I'm a bit concerned and thought I would ask for some advice from some of the older wiser users on the forum. Cindi and I were playing inside because it is far too hot outside to play, and I was throwing her Wubba Kong around for her to chase after. She is one fast pup and when she starts to run after her toy she goes from 0 to 10 in an instant. I went to throw her toy in the middle of playing when she was all riled up and having fun, and though I threw it forwards, I guess she thought I threw it to the right because she took of like a crazy dog right into the wall... Like, she smacked her face against the wall so hard that she bounced backwards and stood there stunned for a few seconds before walking around a little wobbly. I didn't make a big deal out of it and threw her toy a few more times but her heart wasn't really in it after that. Any signs, symptoms, or possible injuries I should be looking for following this?
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Cindi Smacked Her Head Into the Wall
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 10:21:42 PM »
I'd monitor and have her take it easy for a couple of days.

I've had a lot of dogs crash into a lot of things (or get crashed into) with no damage done.  Cole even took out a tomb stone with his face once in a similar kong induced incident.  It didn't slow him down or seem to affect him at all though.

So I'd respect that she said it affected her.

No wild exercise for two days, hand walk on leash for exercise.  Monitor eating, drinking, pooping, peeing and demeanor for any changes.  Examine nostrils and ear canals for any signs of discharge.  Examine pupils to see that they are equal and responsive to light (get smaller in bright light and larger when the bright light is removed).  Gently turn her head to each side and up and down (you could lure this with a treat) and see if there's any tenderness or loss of range of motion in her neck.  Feel all over the head and neck for any heat, swelling, or tenderness.

You could put an ice pack wrapped in a small towel on her head if she agrees.  I don't see any way it could harm her and it might reduce or limit any swelling.

If you see any changes in poop, pee, eating, drinking or demeanor in the morning, I'd call the vet.  If you see any discharge from nostrils or ears (bloody or clear either one), if she becomes lethargic or unsteady, if her pupils do not respond correctly, if she starts vomiting, don't wait to call the vet.

The good news is their craniums are very hard and if they're going to whack a body part that's a sturdy one to whack.  Tardis has only crashed once, when Cosette pulled a Lucy on him right in front of a chain link fence and he waffled his face on it.  But I've lost count of how many times I've kicked him in the head accidentally when his head got between my foot and the ball.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:24:45 PM by Kirsten »
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 09:00:28 PM »
 Wow. Cole sounds like he was quite the character! Thank you Kirsten. I was initially pretty worried because of Cindi's direct reaction but after keeping a close eye on her today and letting her take it easy, she seems just fine! In fact, she is quite unhappy with me because we haven't been able to play or work like we usually do, and I can see just how much she needs to do something. We'll get back into the swing of things tomorrow. Again, thank you so much for the advice!
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Sheenar

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Brain fog
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 10:48:30 PM »
I'm so glad to hear Cindi seems to be okay!
Sheena, Zeus, and Marzipan Anne the Kitty of Doom
http://thereisachronichope.blogspot.com/

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 01:01:07 AM »
yay!
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest