Author Topic: Possible tumor on my dogs leg  (Read 671 times)

Offline felix13

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Possible tumor on my dogs leg
« on: May 24, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »
I noticed a bump on Jones leg a few months ago. I did some research and came to conclusion that is most likely a fatty tumor which is non cancerous. But it seems to have gotten larger and is about the size of a nickel now. It's attached only to under the skin and is not painful to manipulate. I was going to bring it up at Jones next yearly vet appointment. But was thinking it might be too far away. Since he is not due for anything till October. I am just worried it's cancerous though I am almost sure it isn't. Advice on if a vet visit now is warranted.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Possible tumor on my dogs leg
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 10:10:26 PM »
It's still more likely to be benign than to be cancer, but since it is growing in size, it would probably be prudent to have it evaluated by a veterinarian sooner rather than later.

I've had a number of lumps on my dogs evaluated, judged probably benign, but sampled and examined under a microscope.  So it can be as non-invasive as that, just an office visit basically.  I've had some removed too, because they were in a bad location even if benign and then had them biopsied.

So it's not time to panic, it's still most likely to be harmless, but if he were my dog I'd call my vet and at least ask for his recommendation on whether he needs to see it sooner than the next regular appointment.  At a minimum, you need to keep track of the size and how rapidly it's growing by measuring it and recording the dimensions regularly.

I'm actually enough of a worry wart about these things, having lost two dogs to cancer, that I'd just want it aspirated or biopsied soon regardless of if the vet said I could wait.  It would be worth it to me to be done with the worrying.

The cancerous tumors on my dogs were not ones I could detect (on the spleen, heart, and lungs).  100% of the lumps, bumps, and oddness I've found on or attached to my dogs' skin have been benign (there have been more than a dozen).  The movable ones attached to the skin have a high probability of being benign (harmless).
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 10:58:16 PM »
I'm going to agree with Kirsten in that chances are it's benign, but if it's worth your peace of mind, take him to the vet to get checked out and biopsied. Back in November Jubi got a lump that started the size of a grain of rice and grew to the size of a pea in her armpit. I was terrified and got it removed and it ended up just being scar tissue, but after having lost one service dog young it was worth the money to rule out anything serious. Worst case scenario you catch it much earlier too and it's far easier to treat.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline Sheenar

• Official Welcomer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 02:23:28 AM »
It's most likely benign, but definitely have it checked out for nothing else than piece of mind.

I remember when my first dog got a lump on her abdomen near where the end of her rib cage was --I remember being scared and worried. The vet did a needle aspiration and found it was a fatty tumor (lipoma) and said to just keep an eye on it. Said it's really common and usually, if they don't come up in areas that impede movement or are uncomfortable, usually they just watch it and make sure it doesn't get any bigger. Pebbles' fatty tumor never got bigger and wasn't in a spot where it was an issue, so we left it and just checked it at annual visits.

It's pretty common in some breeds (Labs, Goldens, etc.) to develop lipomas as dogs age. Most are harmless, but it's definitely worth getting checked out.
Sheena, Zeus, and Marzipan Anne the Kitty of Doom
http://thereisachronichope.blogspot.com/

Offline felix13

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 09:27:14 AM »
Thanks everyone. I made an appointment with the vet for tomorrow. So hopefully we can rule out cancer and I can stop worrying.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 11:27:38 AM »
Please let us know how it goes. It really should be okay, but it will be a relief to know for sure.
Kirsten and Tardis

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 12:53:30 PM »
I had a biopsy done on Rio when she had a bump that was growing. it was benign but I'm glad I had it done. She didn't have to "go under" since she is so well behaved. So the cost was pretty modest - less than $100?
Invisible physical and mental disabilities.
Advanced experience training obedience dogs. Very new to training service dogs.
Current Samoyeds: Rio (11), Cosmo (3), Serenity (SDiT)

Offline felix13

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2017, 05:16:16 PM »
The tumor is confirmed to be just fat so no reason to worry.   :biggrin:

Offline mommagrizzly

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 05:20:54 PM »
The tumor is confirmed to be just fat so no reason to worry.   :biggrin:

YAY!!!
Do what you think you can't do
Keturah's FB Page
PM me about being pen pals

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 05:21:59 PM »
Great news! What a relief!
Kirsten and Tardis

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 07:54:33 PM »
That's excellent, so glad for you and Jones!
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline Emily

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Excited
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 08:39:14 PM »
Glad to hear that!  It's always good to have that reassurance to put your mind at rest.  Hope you and Jones have a good weekend!

Offline Sheenar

• Official Welcomer
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 09:12:18 PM »
So glad to hear!! I bet you feel so relieved!
Sheena, Zeus, and Marzipan Anne the Kitty of Doom
http://thereisachronichope.blogspot.com/