Author Topic: Too Much Kibble!!  (Read 584 times)

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Too Much Kibble!!
« on: May 24, 2017, 07:08:27 PM »
  So, Cindi has started scratching her face quiet a lot. She was on a Kirkland food when I first got her. I thought I kept her on the same food, but the chicken brand here has grain in it, and the stuff the school was using did not. It took me a few months to figure that one out I'm sad to say. So, I decided to switch her to the Kirkland, Natures Domain food, which has Salmon as its main meat base and no grains in it. Just as I was in the middle of switching her over to that, I was attending a group where we were talking about guide dogs, and people were asking about Cindi and her food. I told them what she was on, and offhandedly said I might switch her food to something a bit nicer once I was out of school and working. There was such a sweet elderly gentleman there who lost his dog a few months ago. After the meeting he came up to Cindi and I and insisted he buy Cindi's food for her off chewy. He said he was so used to buying food for his dog and he really wanted to help me out. At first I said no, but this guy was so persistent that I eventually gave in and thanked him greatly. Every little bit helps when you're a university student after all. And he said it was no trouble at all for himself. I'm still kind of stunned about it.

So, on recommendation of my program, I ordered Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. It has great reviews and is said to be very effective in helping dog with itchy skin. I'm fairly sure Cindi's problem is the grain because she didn't have any itchiness until she went on the food with grain in it.

So, this is where the issues lies. Cindi was in the middle of switching over to the Natures Domain food when her new Taste of the Wild Food came. The TOTW is being pre ordered every few months so she needs to start eating it now before I have it stockpiled. Also I want Cindi on the healthier food as soon as possible. I gave her just about a half a cup of the TOTW in her supper today and she LOVES it! She has this stupid thing where if she really likes a food, she will pick it all out first and may even ignore the other food\s. It drives me crazy but poodles are picky eaters after all.

So I am mixing three foods together in this weird concoction of Kibble. I almost have her off the food with grain now, but I'm going slow seeing as I don't want her getting sick with all of this change. Is it okay to change her food so often and so fast? Do you think it's unwise to mix three kibbles together?

Also, as a side not, I have almost a full bag of this Natures Domain now that I'm not going to use in the foreseeable future. Do you guys know of any places that will take open bags of kibble for donations. I know shelters will take bags, but am not sure if they will take open ones. It seems like such a waste to throw away almost 40 pounds of food.
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Too Much Kibble!!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 07:29:51 PM »
Shelters usually will take open bags, you can roll the top down and tape it with packing tape to make it easier to handle.

I would switch her cold turkey. I've never been one to mix foods and transition slowly, just use the new food when the old one runs out. I've never had much of an issue with stomach upsets but my dogs do not have tender tummies. If she has a tender tummy I would cut out the second food altogether. Just the first one she was originally on, and the new one.
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline EmmaH

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Exhausted
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 08:20:21 PM »
I used to switch gradually, but after an incident where I was totally out of the old food I just switch immediately. There hasn't been any effect to my dogs yet.

Offline Charlie Ann

• Old Timer
  • Sometimes I wonder why, I am taking the hard road
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 11:14:12 PM »
With  allergies switch immediately, a pro  biotic  can help with the upset stomach if there is any.
My eyes have four paws, she's a golden girl, who thinks nothing is better than a kind word and a ear scratch. With her harness in hand I remember what I didn't even realized I had lost, total freedom, without roadblocks or canes.
  Born in the month of pride with the name to match, June.

Offline meeshymoosh

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: curious
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 01:11:26 PM »
I have always switched immediately after my vet recommended it like this:

"What is your husky having?"

me: upset stomach/loose stools

"And what are the side effects of switching foods?"

me: upset stomach....loose stools

"Right. Either way there will be that not-so-fun switching period, but at least after a week of the straight new food you'll know if it's working rather than 2-3 weeks of switching to a new food."
Samson - GSD - 3 years old SDiT
Gideon - Alaskan Husky - 2.5 years old

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 09:48:23 PM »
Thank you guys. After reading everyone's comments I have decided to switch her much faster then usual over to her new food. That means that I should be done with the old and totally in with the new in about a day or two now. I do want to be careful with Cindi because poodles do tend to be a bit less hardy in the stomach area then other breeds, but I do want her on this new food fast. Also, it's great to know I can donate some of her old food! Good thing I keep the bags until the food is about done. Maybe I can ask the shelter about volunteering when I stop by.
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.