Author Topic: I may look fine, but I need my service dog with me for panic attacks  (Read 1861 times)

Offline ZombieFodder

• Certified Zombie Hunter
  • Official Welcomer
  • "Probably just a fever"
  • Mood: Weird
  • SDC interest: curious
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/i-may-look-fine-but-i-need-my-service-dog-with-me-for-panic-attacks/2017/05/19/063c5a68-08ff-11e7-a15f-a58d4a988474_story.html?utm_term=.7139e8e4358f

Service dogs, most people probably think, are for blind people. And maybe for someone who uses a wheelchair. Not so much for those who appear hale and hearty.
THE HARDEST PART OF A ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE
          will be pretending I'm not excited

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Oh for pete's sake.

The bleep dog isn't even housebroken, the most basic of training.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
Added the following to the page she linked:

By federal law (the Americans with Disabilities Act), he MUST be reliably potty trained. It is not okay for your dog to poop in Target.

NOTE: the ADA does not apply to dogs in training. You do not have ADA rights to inflict the dog on businesses in the name of training the dog.
Kirsten and Tardis

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
I also sent the following email to the Post:

In your article appearing at https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/i-may-look-fine-but-i-need-my-service-dog-with-me-for-panic-attacks/2017/05/19/063c5a68-08ff-11e7-a15f-a58d4a988474_story.html?utm_term=.185808d29a39#comments

You reference my website, servicedogcentral.org, a site that I own and operate to provide educational materials and community opportunities for people with disabilities interested in service dogs.

The writer grossly misrepresents my site's position on training in suggesting that taking an unhousebroken dog to Target to poop on the floor is consistent with what I say about owner-training a service dog and the law.  A dog that is not reliably housebroken is legally not required to be admitted under the ADA.  I don't want to have any association between my site and that hideous portrayal of service dogs and owner training published in your paper.

Kirsten Richards
owner and administrator
servicedogcentral.org

Sent from my iPad
Kirsten and Tardis

Offline Candy3

• Loquacious Member
There are so many cringe-worthy points in this article.
Very cringe-worthy.

I'm glad you wrote to them, Kirsten. 

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
Cringe-worthy indeed.  If I wanted to write a satire composite of all the worst I have ever seen in service dog handlers and owner-trainers I don't think I could do better than that article.

That is NOT how I'd like to see owner-trainers portrayed to the public or owner-training portrayed to would-be owner-trainers who might encounter the article.

I'd have commented on the article, but I don't have an account with the Post.
Kirsten and Tardis

Offline ember

• Mood: Exhausted
Holy cow. This was posted in the Washington Post?!?!?!?

One thing that makes me mad is that she writes that even though her dog is a Service Dog in training, she brings it everywhere. Pooping in a store? Heaven help us.  :angry:

Offline ember

I just saw that you can comment if you login with your facebook account!

Offline MusicTeach2013

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Excited
WTF? Seriously this is the kind of nonsense that is going to make it harder for owner trainers. And this is the [censored] that gets published by the Washington Post? With typos and grammar mistakes on top of HORRIBLE misinformation? When did the "anyone can be a reporter" fad start because I am really sick of it.

Good for you Kirsten for contacting the Post.
Don't worry, by the time I hit the floor I'm already on my way back up. (syncope problems)
Amelia (human) and Axel (Standard Poodle washed prospect)

Offline Candy3

• Loquacious Member
She would be smart to hire a trainer. Seems that a lot of valuable time has been lost. I mean, the pup is a year old and still doesn't have his basic tasks down, or even some of his basic obedience. (Does he even do any tasks, at this time?)

He is not the kind of service dog (or SDiT) I would want to see in a store.

Offline EverConfused

• Loquacious Member
Re: I may look fine, but I need my service dog with me for panic attacks
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 05:39:01 PM »
the washington post is terrible for typos and grammar and stuff. i don't think they have (enough) copy editors anymore.

i really didn't like this piece. i especially didn't like the reference to gary. it's not misleading or potentially harmful in the way that the much of rest of the article is. it just strikes me as gratuitous and mean.
she/her/hers

I sometimes use speech-to-text software. If something in my post does not make sense, please ask.

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 06:04:50 PM »
I want to warn everyone that the comments section of this article was toxic and hurtful and made me cry.

Article it's self was gross and poorly written. I thought the last paragraph was a literal joke.

Seriously don't go into the comments section if you're triggered by people who believe those with disabling anxiety aren't entitled to disability benefits, SDs, or even the right to have an anxiety attack in the first place. Lots of hate. The comment that said the woman should have CPS called on her because she has anxiety attacks and takes sedatives hit me very hard.
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline EmmaH

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 06:26:56 PM »
Seriously the comments are mean. The article was just so...sad almost. Its obviously someone who thinks they're doing a good job, but they're going about it totally the wrong way. Dragging your dog everywhere before it's even potty trained isn't going to train it.

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 06:34:14 PM »
I wish the article writer would find herself musing SDC and hopefully willing to take a bit of constructive criticism.

As for all the commenters, those are sad, unhealthy people. No one goes around so venomously (and anonymously) attacking strangers if they are confident, centered people. Any upset is not the fault of anyone here, nor anyone with anxiety or another psych condition. If there is anything to pity it is not us who have psychiatric conditions and sometimes SDs for psych disabilities, but rather the people who devote their weekend to angrily trolling comment threads. That's far more pitiful than any of us, or anyone else we know and love with a psych condition/disability.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline meeshymoosh

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 08:54:46 AM »
Wow, I agree in that this article seems more...justifying...than educational. Likewise, the comments are a reflection of the frustration of people who cannot empathize with others.

It makes me more determined to be a straight-laced ambassador for other SD teams when I get to that point. I want to do things right. I don't want to be someone else's reason to continue or foster ill feelings for others who are disabled.

Those comments are exactly why I am going into the mental health field as well as why it is so, so incredibly hard to to feel like you're not "the problem" when you're struggling with mental illnesses.
Samson - GSD - 3 years old SDiT
Gideon - Alaskan Husky - 2.5 years old