Author Topic: Sensing Depression?  (Read 367 times)

Offline Poedog

• SDC interest: ESA owner
Sensing Depression?
« on: May 15, 2017, 08:57:28 PM »
This is more of just a chatty/thought this was interesting thing, so I hope it's okay that I'm posting.

Over the last week or so, Poe has been VERY... I don't even want to say needy? Attentive, I guess? She normally just chills in whatever room she feels like when people are home (otherwise she's in my room, separated from the cats, when no one is home, usually for about 4-6 hours a day). The last week, every time I leave a room for even 2 minutes, she follows me and plops down wherever I am. She doesn't seem at all anxious, agitated, etc. and then I looked back and realized a lot of my symptoms have been much worse this week (probably due to the impending/aftermath of Mother's Day). Anyone else ever have this happen?

It's just crazy and amazing to me. Before Poe, I never had a dog sense this before, especially not depression (though my cat has been known to paw at the door until you let him in and then lay on your chest (which is pretty substantial considering he's almost 20 pounds) when you're having a panic attack). It's so strangely comforting, especially because she's very calm and methodical about it, just follows me and keeps an eye out and then cuddles when I sit still long enough.

I swear this dog changed my life in a way I didn't even know possible. It was fate. I waited a year for a dog and knew the moment I laid eyes on her that she was mine. She's my angel. Her and my sweet cat, who is also a rescue.