Author Topic: Frontline Plus and bathing?  (Read 619 times)

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Frontline Plus and bathing?
« on: May 12, 2017, 11:08:58 AM »
Max has to get a bath today. It's non-negotiable because him and I are scheduled to take graduation photos tomorrow (and I wanted him in the photos since he's been such a huge positive change in my life). He is turning off-white, so the bath just has to happen.

Today is the day I'm supposed to give him his Frontline Plus and Heartguard Plus. I read on the sticker that my vet put on the box "Don't use within 48 hours of bathing". My cognative functioning has been a bit lower the last few days. Does this mean I can't apply it for 48 hours AFTER giving him a bath, or for 48 hours BEFORE giving him a bath, or both? Basically, I guess what I'm really asking is: can I give this to him and then give him a bath in the same day? Or should I wait and give this to him on Sunday?
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline Candy3

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Okay
Re: Frontline Plus and bathing?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 11:39:17 AM »
I got this off the Frontline Plus website page:

Is FRONTLINE Plus water fast?
Yes, FRONTLINE Plus is very water fast.  However, please take note of the tips below for the best flea control results.
It is okay to bathe your pet before using FRONTLINE Plus but the coat should be completely dry prior to application.
It is recommended not to bathe, shampoo or swim pets during the 48 hours after treatment.
Excessive washing or swimming may potentially interfere with your flea preventative and more frequent application be required.
Speak to your vet about appropriate shampoos to use on your pet.

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 11:52:11 AM »
Both. Do not apply 48hrs after a bath or bathe within 48hrs.

Frontline works by spreading through the oils in the dog's coat. The dog has to have oils for it to spread. Wash and remove the oils and frontline won't work.

Unless he has fleas right now, wait until sunday to apply the frontline. If he has fleas right now and you need them gone get Capstar tablets (or the generic) and give him that. Fleas will be gone in 24hrs and it's an oral so you can bathe him. If you can't get them, wash him in vingear and dawn dish soap. Makes them smell funky but it kills fleas. You can apply doggie deodorant or waterless shampoo to get rid of the vingear funk.
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »
Ok, thanks guys! The wording just threw me off there. He doesn't have fleas, so waiting 'till Sunday shouldn't be a problem.

Should I give him the Heartguard today or wait 'till Sunday for that and give them to him at the same time?
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 01:01:47 PM »
I'd give the HeartGard today and Frontline on Sunday. Give both at their scheduled time next month. A day or two either way won't hurt but I wouldn't suggest longer than that because then you may have a lapse big enough that the dog could get an infestation.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)