Author Topic: Registering my puppy as an ESA? How do I go about this?  (Read 738 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline MackenzieRJ

  • Newly arrived
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Location: TX
  • SDC interest: puppy raiser
Registering my puppy as an ESA? How do I go about this?
« on: May 11, 2017, 11:31:05 AM »
So I've struggled with depression and anxiety basically my whole life and was diagnosed and medicated in high school. It's been a few years since I've been able to return to a doctor. The beginning of this year has been very rough for me, so my wonderful boyfriend decided to surprise me with a puppy, in hopes that it would help. And yes, he has been an amazing addition in my life! He is a mastiff, and as I'm sure most of you know, he is considered an aggressive breed at almost all apartment complexes. We're having trouble with our apartment management, and they are asking for me to have a paper filled out by my doctor verifying that I am indeed diagnosed and that the animal benefits me and my illness. I don't have a doctor. I haven't been to a doctor in years. Is there some way I can speak with someone who won't find it suspicious that I'm coming to them and on my visit I ask them to sign off on a paper just so I can keep my dog? I've noticed that a lot of people have caught on that if your animal is an ESA, you can keep them no matter the breed/size, and not pay any fees. I don't want a doctor to think this. I'd even be willing to pay the fees as long as they don't try to make me get rid of him because of his breed and size. He's 16 weeks, and already at the 50 pound mark. What can I do?

Offline Kirsten

  • Administrator
  • *****
  • Posts: 39463
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Location: Missouri, USA
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Registering my puppy as an ESA? How do I go about this?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 12:23:36 PM »
You must be in treatment for severe (disabling) mental illness to qualify for an ESA.  Registration does not release you from the obligation to provide a letter from the medical professional who is treating you.  Basically, there is no legitimate registration, only scammers selling fake registration online.  The way the system is set up is that you have to provide medical documentation that you are disabled by mental illness and that the medical professional who is treating your for that disabling mental illness is recommending an emotional support animal as part of their treatment plan for you.

The landlord is entitled to that documentation from your doctor.  No way around it.  In Rose vs Springfield-Greene County Health Department the court ruled that if you aren't receiving treatment for mental illness then you aren't disabled by mental illness.  If you aren't disabled by mental illness, then you do not qualify for an ESA under the FHAct.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest