Author Topic: Should I Hold Off or Go Ahead?  (Read 463 times)

Offline Ollie

• Mood: Exhausted
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Should I Hold Off or Go Ahead?
« on: May 08, 2017, 12:09:31 AM »
Just to keep it short, my therapist and general doctor both think I may benefit from a service dog. I spoke more in depth about it with them which made them become even more into the idea. My therapist has actually become border line obsessed with it. Asking if I've found breeders, what breed I've been looking into, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think service dogs are great tools and I have seen partial benefits and downsides that come with it when bringing my old pup with me to dog friendly areas. My pup is task trained in some aspects and is a great help, especially at home, but obviously I can't bring them with me nor can I rely on them 100%. I've also experienced the complications and training process while training service dogs for other people, especially this particular puppy I'm working with that has come a long way from being dog obsessed to now being, "Meh. Food and pets is better than sniffing bums."

Anyways, back to the original question. My therapist thinks I should go ahead, my primary thinks it would be a good thing to look into since so far my test results are not coming up positive and he's very confused by my symptoms.

I guess I feel sort of like I'd be selfish if I went ahead so quickly and go full on into finding a prospect and continue speaking with breeders. I asked my primary if he had other ideas and other medications or tools I could try before I resort to a service dog. I want to make sure that I really did try my best to avoid a service dog.

My therapist thinks this may be related to my thoughts of "not being worthy" or whatever.

Is it bad that I want to hold off and make sure that I have tried every single avenue and options or should I just not bother anymore and listen to my therapist?

Offline EverConfused

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: curious
Re: Should I Hold Off or Go Ahead?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 12:57:27 AM »
Is it bad that I want to hold off and make sure that I have tried every single avenue and options or should I just not bother anymore and listen to my therapist?

false dichotomy. getting a service dog doesn't preclude trying other options.

whether you should start the process of getting a service dog at this time is up to you. the fact that your doctor and therapist think it would be a good idea means that it would be reasonable to do so. it doesn't mean that you have to do it now or at all.

ultimately it's your life and if you prefer to try other options first, that is your right.
she/her/hers

I sometimes use speech-to-text software. If something in my post does not make sense, please ask.

Offline polarmouse

• Mood: Hyper
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Should I Hold Off or Go Ahead?
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 05:57:10 PM »

For me, deciding to train a SD was  also a difficult decision. I've been dealing with my disability for 25 years and have had some stable times and not so stable. Recently, within the past couple years I've become medication resistant. I've had so many med changes I've had to keep a chart. I have continued to see a therapist, however despite hard work and lots of behavioral therapies, my more serious symptoms persist and continue to get worst. In addition, as you mentioned, the idea of actually developing a SD sounded like something that would exasperate my symptoms. While some things have been triggering, focusing on the training, along with the possibility of mitigating my symptoms, and the response I'm getting from my SDIT has helped me continue.

My therapist has actually become border line obsessed with it. Asking if I've found breeders, what breed I've been looking into, etc.

While your trying to decide if a SD would be good for mitigating your disability, you may want to tell your therapist that you appreciate their input, but need time to process the information and you will let them know if you want to discuss it further.