Author Topic: Senior food for young dog?  (Read 408 times)

Offline MusicTeach2013

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Excited
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Senior food for young dog?
« on: April 26, 2017, 07:01:40 PM »
Ok, so Axel has become a spoiled brat and it's totally not my fault. We live with my grandparents and because I had a crazy schedule they took over most of his feedings. Well he had a horribly sensitive stomach which led me to switch his foods several times trying to find something that wouldn't make him throw up (which was probably not helping in the long run but I digress). Anyway he finally got to the point where he refused to eat dry food at all, unless we topped it with some canned food. I'm all for the "If they're hungry enough they'll eat eventually" route but my grandparents thought he was starving (he's actually about 10 lbs overweight... we're going to work on that) so they would give him whatever he would eat.

Well he ran out of dry food the other day (I was on vacation and nobody told me he was almost out of food) so I borrowed a few cups from my mom's pantry until I can run to the store this weekend. Well she has Nutro brand dog food, the Large breed Senior formula (for her lab/malamute mix that is 10 years old). Axel has now eaten that dry food with no topper on it for three meals straight, cleaned the bowl and begged for more (little fatty).

My question is, what makes a dog food "senior" variety and is it bad to feed him that kind? If he'll eat it without a topper that would be awesome. Axel is only 3, so not a senior dog by a long shot, but he loves it.
Don't worry, by the time I hit the floor I'm already on my way back up. (syncope problems)
Amelia (human) and Axel (Standard Poodle washed prospect)

Offline BearNeccessity

• SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Senior food for young dog?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 07:17:37 PM »
Its going to depend on the brand of food. In general, senior foods tend to have less calories per cup of kibble, to control weight issues that become more common with age. Sometimes they'll also have supplements for joints and such, though usually not in amounts high enough to matter much. Thats usually about it. Just like puppy food is pretty much the same as regular food, but has more calories per cup for growing puppies