Author Topic: When to tell a potential landlord about your ESD: URGENT  (Read 600 times)

Offline KelseyVG

• Newly arrived
  • SDC interest: ESA owner
When to tell a potential landlord about your ESD: URGENT
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:31:19 AM »
I have an ESD and I am currently looking to move...I have already found an apartment to apply to, and they have a pet friendly policy but my ESD is about 7 pounds above the weight limit for dogs. Do I include the documentation for my ESD with the application or do I wait to see if I have been approved and then tell them before signing the lease if I get approved? It's a pretty competitive building so I'm concerned they will find a reason to give the apartment to someone else if I give tell them before getting approved. Thanks!

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: When to tell a potential landlord about your ESD: URGENT
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 08:12:20 PM »
This is my personal thoughts. Keep in mind there are others who are much more capable of quoting and answering legal questions pertaining to ESAs and the FHA. You will hopefully get answers from others more educated in this area. I would suggest telling them beforehand. The last thing you want to do is create animosity because they think you've lied by omission, or gone out and gotten a piece of paper to sneak around the requirements. While I wouldn't lie if they ask your dog's specific weight, I doubt 7 lbs is going to make much of a difference in the management's comfort level with the size of your ESD. There may be tenants who have lived there for several years and their dog gained weight over those years and gone above the weight limit. Though I could be wrong, I highly doubt management goes around weighing dogs that look to be near or over the weight limit and demand the owners put the dog on a diet if so.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline sahi

• SDC interest: curious
Re: When to tell a potential landlord about your ESD: URGENT
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 12:16:04 PM »
I have been told that this is often a matter of insurance coverage. The apartments may only have coverage for dogs under a certain size. This would probably be the same "undue burden" as breed restrictions. http://servicedogcentral.org/content/node/460. Maybe start with finding out why they have a size restriction.