Author Topic: Grain Free  (Read 598 times)

Offline Tara

• Loquacious Member
  • Buddy's Handler
  • Mood: In the mood for love
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Grain Free
« on: April 20, 2017, 03:20:50 PM »
I may need to switch Buddy to a grain free diet. I don't know what his problem is, but he's so itchy scratchy when he is inside my house. I take him out onto the porch or in the yard and he's fine. We go out for walks or he's working and he's fine. I am trying one- maybe 2- more things before he gets a diet overhaul (the same essential oils I use for my allergies, which are safe for dogs, as well... and I want to shampoo all the carpet and furniture in my house).

If I have to go to a grain free diet for him, what are some good brands to consider. I currently spend approximately $36 on a 40 pound bag of Diamond Naturals lamb meal and rice. I priced the Diamond Naturals grain free and it is almost twice as expensive which I can't do. I don't mind going to a farm store or co-op type place to buy it, as I already am. Is there a cheaper, but still good brand I should look at?

As for treats, I have been dehydrating organ meats and dog safe produce and I can make biscuits with something like oat flour, so that's covered, and I love baking!

New Etsy shop for your animal related needs- new items to roll out in the future. (New items added 4/25)
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TreatYourCritter
(Will use funds to maintain care of my SD)

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Grain Free
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 03:24:11 PM »
If it's only inside of your house, I wonder if it's really a food issue. The food is still inside of his system whether he's out on a walk or inside of the house. I could be wrong about that, though.

Personally, if the scratching is getting to the point where you are considering a diet overhaul (after the other two things), I would consult a vet first. It may be something else entirely that will require treatment, such as a skin condition being aggravated by something in your house, or something along those lines.
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline Tara

• Loquacious Member
  • Buddy's Handler
  • Mood: In the mood for love
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 03:35:19 PM »
That's what I'm thinking Moonsong, that it has to be something inside my house. I just don't know what and it's totally aggravating!
New Etsy shop for your animal related needs- new items to roll out in the future. (New items added 4/25)
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TreatYourCritter
(Will use funds to maintain care of my SD)

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 04:10:20 PM »
I feel fairly certain that sportMIX Wholesomes is grain free, it's the same price as Diamond Naturals, I priced them both and use them interchangeably depending on if we can make it to tractor supply or not. You'll have to double check though, I can't remember.
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline BearNeccessity

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 05:12:43 PM »
I would also question whether its diet related. Try to think of ANYTHING new you brought into your house.

It's been forever since I fed kibble, but if you have access to a costco, their brand of grain free (natures domain) is pretty cheap. I think 40 for a 40 lb bag, so not too much more than what you're paying now. Again, prices may have changed, its been years. Their food is made by diamond, and is surprisingly good quality for the price.

Offline mommagrizzly

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 01:43:12 PM »
Have you checked into Fromm any? Great company, great quality, and great prices.
Do what you think you can't do
Keturah's FB Page
PM me about being pen pals