Author Topic: When to inform potential rental property of ESD  (Read 669 times)

Offline AlterTremonti

• Newly arrived
  • SDC interest: ESA owner
When to inform potential rental property of ESD
« on: April 19, 2017, 10:27:18 AM »
I have to move soon, and I got an ESD recently. When is an appropriate time to tell an apartment I may/will be renting from in the future about my ESD so as to not violate the law but also not subject myself to discrimination. Do I tell them when I decide I am interested and they inform me of available units, when I am about to sign the lease, after I sign?

Also, note that I am considering no-dog apartments as well, since there is a very limited selection of dog-friendly apartments.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: When to inform potential rental property of ESD
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 11:39:35 AM »
Before you sign the lease. There are situations where the landlord can deny the accommodation and if you sign the lease you're obligated to pay for the entire lease period even if you can't/don't live there.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline AlterTremonti

• Newly arrived
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 12:01:46 PM »
Ok, thanks. Also, how do I avoid discrimination? I feel like if I mention it early on, I may get into a situation where they will tell me no units are available or that I wasn't approved because they don't want to have a tenant with an ESA.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 02:38:40 PM »
That does sometimes happen. You can wait til they offer you a unit but in reality they can generally find a way to boot you after you move in too. So your best bet is to not move in under a landlord who hates the idea of an ESA.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline AlterTremonti

• Newly arrived
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 12:22:34 AM »
Thank you for your advice. This topic came up while speaking with someone from an apartment and they seemed very understanding. I feel a lot less worried now.

Offline KelseyVG

• Newly arrived
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 11:29:21 AM »
I'm trying to figure out the same thing right now... I have already found an apartment to apply to, and they have a pet friendly policy but my ESD is about 7 pounds above the weight limit for dogs. Do I include the documentation for my ESD with the application or do I wait to see if I have been approved and then tell them before signing the lease if I get approved? It's a pretty competitive building so I'm concerned they will find a reason to give the apartment to someone else if I give tell them before getting approved. HELP!

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 11:53:48 AM »
So your best bet is to not move in under a landlord who hates the idea of an ESA.

I agree strongly with this. Would you really want to be living under someone who despises your ESA and hates giving you the accommodation for it? While the situation may not be entirely avoidable, it seems like it would be better, in my opinion, to be straightforward with the landlord about your ESA and if they find some excuse to prevent you from having a unit then you wouldn't want to live there anyways. But that's just my opinion.
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline Tara

• Loquacious Member
  • Buddy's Handler
  • Mood: In the mood for love
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 01:12:46 PM »
I lived in public housing for a while years ago with a cat as an ESA. The apartment managers apparently hated all animals and every time they came in my apartment for anything (inspection, change the heater filter, exterminator, etc.) They would complain my apartment smelled like cat pee. I eventually ended up moving out due to the harassment. They gave my boyfriend crud over his birds, as well.
New Etsy shop for your animal related needs- new items to roll out in the future. (New items added 4/25)
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TreatYourCritter
(Will use funds to maintain care of my SD)