Author Topic: Best SDIT/Service dog prospect raising tips!  (Read 1072 times)

Offline RealmOfMyImagination

• Loquacious Member
  • Always In a Brain Fog
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Best SDIT/Service dog prospect raising tips!
« on: April 07, 2017, 04:32:04 PM »
This is my first time intentionally raising a puppy for being a service dog, I am waiting for all shots to do more out of the house/yard stuff (parvo is bad this year around here)

I have been managing training simple stuff here and there and of course at the vet hes been exposed to all that however our last experience didn't go too well as we had him microchipped and it fell out so it was two jabs he had to do :sad:

I've been reading here and there on stuff people do but what are your favorite raising tips?  I have a raising guide I think Ariel posted a few years ago which has helped a lot but I'm curious what you guys usually do!
🐾 Humphrey -  German Shepherd Service dog prospect 🐾

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Best SDIT/Service dog prospect raising tips!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 04:48:29 PM »
Tethering! If not on a drag line in your hand or leash tethered to you, in a crate. This umbilical technique allows you to have eyes on puppy at all times and redirect them to do a positive behavior before they are allowed to perform a negative behavior. This way they practice positive skills instead of negative ones and are not having to be corrected for avoidable mistakes. Easier to housebreak, easier to teach leash walking, self control, recall, everything. SO useful! I cannot highly enough recommend tethering! Jubilee was tethered for around 2 months from when she came home at 12 weeks until almost 5 months.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

• Loquacious Member
  • Always In a Brain Fog
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 08:33:47 PM »
Thank you Ariel!! I was struggling to keep him out of his crate and watch him at the same time sometimes and I don't know why I didn't think of this

Offline Ariel

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 08:41:16 PM »
Yep, super useful! Are you working with a trainer? It might be really helpful to have someone experienced with service dog prospects and training SDs to help you set up a raising and socialization plan tailored to you and Humphrey.
Jubi's FB page!

• Loquacious Member
  • Always In a Brain Fog
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 09:05:44 PM »
Yep, super useful! Are you working with a trainer? It might be really helpful to have someone experienced with service dog prospects and training SDs to help you set up a raising and socialization plan tailored to you and Humphrey.

Working with two, one I have yet to meet she use to work at a service dog program actually they are working together I am working with the trainer who helped with Tucker as well.

I haven't worked with them much yet as he is still young and I am working on basic stuff right now.. but it may help to talk to them actually!

Offline Ariel

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 09:38:42 PM »
I would suggest it. The foundation you lay now is the surface upon which you will build everything else. A strong foundation allows for strong walls to be built above it. A poorly laid foundation may crack or sag and future walls may not sit well or may require frequent maintenance so they don't collapse. If you're not sure how to raise a puppy for service work, I'd highly recommend consulting someone who has exactly that type of experience.
Jubi's FB page!

Offline BearNeccessity

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 10:02:30 PM »
Socialize cautiously. Too many people think socializing means exposing them to EVERYTHING and don't watch for stress signals in the dog. Make outings short and fun, but do try to slowly expose to odd things he'll be working around (elevators, shopping carts, automatic doors, walkers, wheelchairs). Just do it slowly and watch reactions and lots of praise and treats.

Also, some people don't like this, but I have a "nobody pets my puppy but me" policy. Letting everyone under the sun pet the pup generally sets them up to seek attention from strangers everywhere you go, which is not desireable. Expose them to lots of people yes, just don't let those people pet him and fawn over him. Instead, just let him observe lots of different kinds of people without needing to be touched by them. Limited contact with family members is fine after a month or so, and I always am sure to make vets and grooming appointments frequent and positive so the pup is used to being handled in those situations.

Second tethering or crate until the dog has reliable house manners. Its the best.

Offline Candy3

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 10:30:00 PM »
Calm, relaxing attitude works best when exposing puppy to new situations. When you take him to the big outside world, he's going to need time absorb all these new and exciting things. Take a slow pace. If something startles him, just say calmly and in a matter of fact way, "It's okay. It's just baskets," (or whatever it is) and give him the opportunity to see exactly what is making the noise. Check to make sure your body language is sending calming signals. He should calm down and relax quickly. If he doesn't, perhaps you are going too fast.

We live on a busy street with lots of loud traffic, at times. When he first came to live with us at 9 weeks old, he heard his first siren and was startled and wondering about it. I just told him, "It's okay. It's just a noise. Noise can't hurt you." And he was fine. Of course, we have a lot of sirens that go by on a daily basis, and to him, it's just part of life here.