Author Topic: female vs male service dogs  (Read 974 times)

Offline holladogs

• Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: waiting
female vs male service dogs
« on: March 19, 2017, 12:42:40 PM »
i am not really sure where to post this. but what would be the benefits of getting a female service dog prospect rather than a male?

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: female vs male service dogs
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 03:09:44 PM »
In some breeds, or maybe most, there are personality differences between the genders, so it would depend on which personality type you preferred.  In my breed, the females are more serious and less forgiving.  The males will sometimes decide not to sweat the small stuff (be less consistent, precise or reliable but in small ways) but they also handle stress better by letting it go and not dwelling on it.  It depends on the human partner and the specific work they are doing whether it makes a difference going one way over the other.

If you have an existing dog in the home, it's generally better to get the opposite sex for the next dog because opposite sex dogs tend to get along the best.  It is generally harder to get two females to cohabitate than to get two males to cohabitate, but easiest to get one of each to cohabitate peacefully.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest