Author Topic: Socialization during the first four weeks  (Read 833 times)

Offline felix13

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Socialization during the first four weeks
« on: March 19, 2017, 09:15:34 AM »
So I have been reading Dr. Ian Dunbars Before and after getting your puppy. I like the house breaking and chew training part and if I get a puppy I will use those techniques. I got to the socialization part and now I am very scared. It says I need to introduce 100 new people before 12 weeks of age. I have 14 people I know for the puppy to meet. After that I not sure what to do. The timeline is looking like I would get a puppy next January or February. So I won't be able to take him to parks or outside a store to meet people. I might be able to convince some other people I know to meet the puppy but that depends on schedules and if they are willing to help out. Does anyone have any ideas on to how to socialize a puppy in the dead of winter. I want the puppy to meet as many people as possible just not sure how to get to 100.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Socialization during the first four weeks
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 09:40:11 AM »
There are facilities that permit pet dogs and others that would probably agree to puppy socialization.  Try sporting goods stores and home improvement stores in your area.  Also car parts, farm stores and possibly office supply.  Your best bet are stores that do not serve or sell food.  Stores that encourage people to wander around and look at merchandise at their leisure.

Locally I can say Bass Pro welcomes even pet puppies for socialization which makes a lot of sense given they are a sporting goods store (the type that sells hunting, fishing, boating, and camping equipment rather than balls and bicycles).  Two out of three of my local big box home improvement stores welcome puppy socialization.  There's a local biking and climbing store that I didn't ask, but I bet would welcome puppies, just by the nature of the people who work there.

Tardis visited a car detailing shop and a sports bar as a baby puppy before I even got him home, thanks to springingpups.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 09:41:24 AM »
There's also puppy kindergarten.  He met at least a dozen new people (including children) in each of his puppy K classes.
Kirsten and Tardis

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 09:42:06 AM »
Some churches will be amenable too.
Kirsten and Tardis

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 11:01:26 AM »
I've found the Hallmark store in my area to be very amenable. The ladies love when well behaved dogs come in and they've been very appropriate on asking to greet and enjoy watching training from behind the register. I don't know if yours would be so welcoming, but it's perhaps worth an ask. It's a quiet store which I like.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline EmmaH

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Exhausted
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »
Home improvement stores on weekends in the morning. My puppy met at least 50 people of all shapes and sizes this way. Though if it is really cold in the winter where you live it may not be as busy.

Offline Candy3

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 01:16:39 PM »
It's surprising how many stores are pet friendly. Here is a list of some of them (scroll down):

https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-training/socialization/a-short-guide-to-shopping-with-your-dog

To be on the safe side, I always asked the store before bringing my puppy in, and when he was very small, I always brought him in a puppy carrier. Before 12 weeks old, he had visited Hallmark, Macy's, Target, GMC, PetSmart and a lot of other places. He had experienced escalator rides, loud echoing parking garages, ambulances, loud motorcycles, traffic, security alarms, crowds, boisterous teenagers, screaming kids, elderly folks and newborns, etc. None of them bother him. And he's a Sheltie!

One thing that I feel is very important, is to go slowly on these excursions to allow the puppy time to absorb what's going on around him.

Offline ember

• Mood: Exhausted
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 03:25:29 PM »
Candy, how did you ask - did you say he was a SDIT? Was he vested?

A hardware store was great for us. He learned about loud noises (saws and paint mixers), smells, smelling/not knocking over plants.

Offline SalukiLover

• Mood: Weird
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
We used to sit outside places like Starbucks, ice cream stores, etc.  Meeting people isn't just confined to the family and friends who will be a lasting part of his life -- it's also quick drive by pettings here and there.  Of course with parvo risk having a blanket on the ground and not going on true dirt (vs pavement) is important.
-partner of Seth, allergen detection wonderdog-

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 07:20:10 PM »
The puppy culture DVD's suggested having a puppy party at your house with people that you know that are dog friendly. That seems like a massive undertaking but Serenity's breeder did it.
Invisible physical and mental disabilities.
Advanced experience training obedience dogs. Very new to training service dogs.
Current Samoyeds: Rio (11), Cosmo (3), Serenity (SDiT)

Offline Candy3

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 07:27:23 PM »
Candy, how did you ask - did you say he was a SDIT? Was he vested?

A hardware store was great for us. He learned about loud noises (saws and paint mixers), smells, smelling/not knocking over plants.

Ember, in the beginning, he wasn't vested, and we simply asked the stores if they were dog friendly before entering. We've only been going to stores that are dog friendly. At about 14 weeks, I wanted him to get used to wearing a vest and associating the vest with working, so I started training him at home with the "In Training" vest on, and for outings, clipped him into his puppy carrier with the vest on.  Most people couldn't see the vest. That lasted about 2 weeks, because he was becoming too heavy for me to tote around and he was done with his puppy shots. Now, I am training him with paws on the ground outside. Recently we did our first training session in Target, and the employees and the customers were thrilled to see us training in their store. (He is becoming somewhat of an ambassador, lol!)  So, I try to be conscientious, respectful and polite.  I don't take him into stores when he is not in training and I never take him in without asking first. California is pretty cool with SDiTs, though.

A note, not all Target stores are dog friendly.

We're going to have to go to a hardware store, next. I forgot about all the noises and smells and such there.  :smile: