Author Topic: How important is it that puppies be raised in the house?  (Read 852 times)

Offline felix13

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: SD partner
How important is it that puppies be raised in the house?
« on: March 14, 2017, 03:46:41 PM »
So I have a question. When selecting a breeder how important is it that the puppies be raised the entire time in the house? I found a breeder that has dogs with multiple field titles and has had dogs go on to be service dogs. I talked to her at length and the only thing that bothers me is she puts the puppies in the attached garage when 3-4 weeks old so they can have more room to roam. My trainer prefers them to be in the house the whole time. But the solid working background of this line is tempting to overlook that. Which is why I am asking if it should disqualified this breeder as an option because if this.

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: How important is it that puppies be raised in the house?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 03:58:50 PM »
I depends on how the garage is set up. As long as it's enriching for the puppies and climate controlled I think it would be okay. It seems no different to me than the puppies having their own room.

-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline SalukiLover

• Mood: Weird
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 04:27:11 PM »
I depends on how the garage is set up. As long as it's enriching for the puppies and climate controlled I think it would be okay. It seems no different to me than the puppies having their own room.

This.

It's also important that they spend enough time with the people there.
-partner of Seth, allergen detection wonderdog-

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 06:37:54 PM »
I'd want to understand the garage setup and human interaction. I don't know that I'd completely rule it out just based on that. There is reputable samoyed breeder that does a lot of the raising outside for her puppies but she is raising them primarily for sled dog work so there are some reasons behind it. You can tell her puppies as they usually a thickercoat than others of the same age.

I might try to gently understand the reason for the garage to make sure that the breeder isn't "overdogged" - i.e. breeding more dogs than they can really take care of in a year. 

I'd probe around what work the breeders do with the litter as a whole during whelping and if they do any work with the individual puppies. I don't know that I'd pose any leading questions like "enrichment" - I'd more leave it pretty broad and see what they come back with and then probe if needed.
Invisible physical and mental disabilities.
Advanced experience training obedience dogs. Very new to training service dogs.
Current Samoyeds: Rio (11), Cosmo (3), Serenity (SDiT)

Offline Cocoajensen

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 12:02:31 AM »
My grandfather raised champion show dogs.  (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels).  Many show titles, a few other titles as well (I know his house dog had obedience competition titles, not sure which ones).  What he did was bring a bitch into the house before whelping (usually my bedroom LOL).  Always monitored, kept inside until first shots & doing well on solid food (usually around 6 weeks I think it was).  Then, they went back outside to the doghouse.

Now, his doghouse was a thing of beauty.  This was in San Antonio.  Middle of his backyard, size of a one-car garage.  It was elevated about 4' off the ground, door on the narrow side, 2 big rooms on the left (half-walls & half doors) and 3 smaller rooms on the right (same half-wall / door setup, so you could easily see over the walls to all the pups).

Each room had a treaded ramp from a doggie door down to a fenced yard area, about 6'x8', gravel fill for easy cleanup.  Fresh water in the fenced area (changed 2x / day) and fresh in the room.  Doggies could go in & out as they pleased.  Having rooms kept litters from getting mixed on the rare occasion he had more than one, and his sire had his own room, bitches in heat were sometimes isolated depending on their mood. 

B/c it was San Antonion, and hot in the summer, there was an A/c set in the wall on a theramostat - got over 80 in the house, a/c came on.  Also a heater (b/c sometimes nights are cold, especially in winter).  Running water into a sink at the end of the hall (open door to house, straight hall, 2 rooms on left, 3 on right) - straight ahead was a sink, hot & cold running water, food storage bins, ac & heater.  And overhead lights.

My job was, when I got home from school.  Go into each fenced yard, clean it up, rinse the rocks in case anything was missed, fill the bowls with fresh water.  Puppies got yard time while I did that & cleaned their room & put fresh bedding down, cleaned accidents.  Then, when all clean, they went back inside & I moved to the next pen.  Grandpa fed & weighed each puppy every day, coordinated shots with vets, deworming, etc. 

If I buy from a breeder - those kinds of details are the kinds of things I'm looking for.  Not necessarily the detailed wood paneling he used, or the soft lighting or piped in music LOL.  But clean, cleaning is well thought about, not an afterhtouhg.  PUppies are cared for & monitored daily, handled & played with daily.  Outside house is set up well against weather, weather changes, intruders (pens were also covered, easy to see from house to see / hear a problem.  And it was clear the dogs were loved & part of the family.

Finally, he worked with vet to evaluate pairings, examine what was known about genetics in Cav's back then, and worked to breed for health & personality.

Are all of these qualities going to be present in every breeder?  No, but they're the kinds of things I like to see & I look for.   They give me a starting point.  A family might not be able to raise every dog in the house, but do they have dogs in the house at all?  Are they considered not allowed< or is it just "we havea  good system & every dog gets love & affection every day." type setup. 

Another thing - I feel like most good breeders are worried about where their dogs will go, and will want to learn about you and what you want from your new family member, your lifestyle, your hopes, how you picture this dog in your life. 

Offline felix13

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 08:43:39 PM »
I went and saw the set up. The current puppies are healthy and greeted us and wanted to explore there our hands with there teeth. They are in an attached garage to the house so they can still hear the noise in the house and have shaving and hay as bedding that the breeder slowly makes smaller to have them potty in smaller area. They have a heater and food and water and the place was very clean. They also had some toys to play with. I am guessing she would allow me to come and socialize with the litter every week so I could bring new toys and noises to help with habitation.