Author Topic: Allowing treats from others  (Read 1094 times)

Offline SalukiLover

• Mood: Weird
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Allowing treats from others
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 04:51:37 PM »
No one gives him food when he is in his vest other than me and my immediate family.  If he goes somewhere "off duty" I am more relaxed about it, but I still have to obsess about ingredients. He can't have wheat, so Milkbones are out.  In practice, the only people who give him treats off duty are visitors to our house, friends/family when we visit them, and the girl who owns the pet store near us that sells all the nice grain free treats and gives him samples.
-partner of Seth, allergen detection wonderdog-

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2017, 05:34:53 PM »
There are people that poison dogs water at dog shows. Which is why I do not allow treats that are not mine. It is horrifying but a reality.
Invisible physical and mental disabilities.
Advanced experience training obedience dogs. Very new to training service dogs.
Current Samoyeds: Rio (11), Cosmo (3), Serenity (SDiT)

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2017, 08:31:00 PM »
I've heard stories of dog's water being poisoned at shows, one instance comes to mind of PETA disciples poisoning water a few years ago. From what I understand the dog's necropsy didn't provide enough evidence to charge anyone.

I've heard of people poisoning and even trying to steal guide dogs from blind handlers but never seen a court come through with a verdict on a case like that. It makes me shutter.

-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!