Author Topic: 100 things a SDIT or prospect puppy should be exposed too  (Read 863 times)

Offline swimmergirl247

• Old Timer
  • hope my only reason for living
  • Mood: Wired for sound
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
100 things a SDIT or prospect puppy should be exposed too
« on: March 07, 2017, 11:36:15 AM »
this is a VERY good aritical I stumbled on and I saved the list for future use for myself and I though i would sahre it. its very honest and really good info for novices. here is the link I figured puppy raisers would like it but also thought It might be good in service dgo training board. so mods if you think it neds to be moved feel free.

100 things a SDIT should be socailized too:
http://www.anythingpawsable.com/socializing-service-dogs-in-training-100-things-to-include/#.WL7q128rJ6o
Theodore(Teddy)SD you truly gods gift to me.
Abigail(retired SD you may not physically be with me but your wings and protection will always be in my heart.
"I may not have sight, but I'll always have vision- Alex S

Offline missythewriter

• Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: waiting
Re: 100 things a SDIT or prospect puppy should be exposed too
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 12:06:50 PM »
Thanks for this! It's awesome!

Offline SalukiLover

• Mood: Weird
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 04:18:05 PM »
Still need to do zoo and bowling alley, I suppose, though I don't like bowling enough to go, really. 
-partner of Seth, allergen detection wonderdog-

Offline Tara

• Loquacious Member
  • Buddy's Handler
  • Mood: In the mood for love
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 08:02:20 PM »
The bowling alleys around here have a kitchen. If the ones by you do, go have a snack at one.
New Etsy shop for your animal related needs- new items to roll out in the future. (New items added 4/25)
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TreatYourCritter
(Will use funds to maintain care of my SD)

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 10:31:01 PM »
I actually took my son bowling last Sunday and was trying to think how I would expose Serenity to that way down the road. There is NOT a kitchen at our bowling alley. There is an arcade that is to the side of the alley that usually is empty.

Open to suggestions on that one.  Seemed way too risky to expose her to that this early but it did make me think.

Invisible physical and mental disabilities.
Advanced experience training obedience dogs. Very new to training service dogs.
Current Samoyeds: Rio (11), Cosmo (3), Serenity (SDiT)

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 01:13:01 AM »
Youtube is a treasure trove of videos. When Jubi was younger and having her issue with mechanical noises I would set videos of drills and hand dryers, jackhammers and dremels, etc. I'd start very low and up the volume as she was eating. I'd then have her work with me with a handful of her food reserved from dinner and get her all excited to work with me with the sound on the loudest my laptop would go. She's still not comfortable around things like hand dryers, but she no longer is skittish of them or will let out a bark if spooked by them. I'm ok with dislike, she's allowed to not like everything. She's no longer stressed or fearful though, which is the big difference. I definitely recommend Youtube for pretty much every light sound exposure.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline SalukiLover

• Mood: Weird
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 04:38:50 PM »
The bowling alleys around here have a kitchen. If the ones by you do, go have a snack at one.

I don't even know if we *have* bowling here.  It's not really a "thing."  I'll have to check.  I have a strong dislike of American snack bar type food, though -- I suppose I could grab candy or a diet coke once Lent is over.   :tongue2:

Truthfully, though, Disneyland doesn't scare him.  Dave and Busters doesn't scare him.  I highly doubt bowling would.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 04:40:40 PM by SalukiLover »
-partner of Seth, allergen detection wonderdog-

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 05:07:57 PM »
The only thing that has truly scared serenity so far were the toilets flushing at first (we're over that now) and the eye exam machine changing heights. The latter was unexpected and she ran from the room. I know my eye doctor well and we were the only people there and his daughter trains service dogs so it wasn't an issue (in other words a happy environment to take her too) but I was surprised at her reaction.
Invisible physical and mental disabilities.
Advanced experience training obedience dogs. Very new to training service dogs.
Current Samoyeds: Rio (11), Cosmo (3), Serenity (SDiT)

Offline Tara

• Loquacious Member
  • Buddy's Handler
  • Mood: In the mood for love
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 05:34:17 PM »
Something that startled Buddy for just a second this afternoon was a person on a bicycle riding up from behind and past us. A few other people passed us on bicycles but they were coming towards us. So yeah, I would add people riding bicycles.
New Etsy shop for your animal related needs- new items to roll out in the future. (New items added 4/25)
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TreatYourCritter
(Will use funds to maintain care of my SD)

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 05:52:29 PM »
First, socialization is about meeting living beings, ie humans and other animals.  The other stuff is called habituation or getting used to a variety of sensory experiences (like ground textures).

Second, they don't need to experience pizza or bowling alleys or a bunch of the other individual specific things they listed.  What they need is a wide variety of experience not so they learn "pizza" but so they learn how to process new things.  The need a hundred new experiences, but it doesn't very much matter what experiences so long as they cover a broad range.

None of my dogs has ever seen a bounce house.  None.  None has ever been in a bowling alley.  Why?  Because I haven't been around either in more than 20 years.

Instead of looking at it as a list of places to visit and assuming that doing that list means your dog is prepared for life as a service dog, share with him a wide variety of sensory experiences that are representative of your area.  If you live in a city with a subway, or travel or work where you have access to a subway, then show him a subway.

My dogs know things about black lights, disco balls, loud music, costumes, and special effects (dry ice fog, chemical fog, bubble machines) that are not on that list but because they were experiences that were available to me to share with them they got to check them out.  (I participated on a canine freestyle drill team with a nutso director who loves loud music and special effects.)

Am I going to have a problem the first time Tardis sees a bowling alley or subway?  No.  Like my other dogs he's had a wide variety of experiences with a wide variety of sensory components.  He knows how to deal with new sensations and situations.

I was there the first time Cole stepped foot onto an airplane, onto a train, onto a bus, onto a speed boat, onto a golf cart in an airport trying to get me to my connection, and on the running board of a farm wagon being used to carry people from the parking lot to the state fair.  All of these firsts were when he was already a full time working service dog.  And every single one he took in stride, acting like he'd seen this and done that many many times in the past when I know for a fact it was his very first time.

Make your own list of 25 textures, 25 sounds, 25, sights, and 25 smells to show your puppy.  Then do it again with another 100 new sensations.  And again.  Until pup acts like he's already seen it all.  That's what socialization and habituation REALLY are.  (a heck of a lot more than 100 anything)

And forget places.  Don't think places, think senses.  And variety.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest