Author Topic: Proud of my pup, though worriBut worried about a reactive puppy.  (Read 632 times)

Offline Charlie Ann

• Old Timer
  • Sometimes I wonder why, I am taking the hard road
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Proud of my pup, though worriBut worried about a reactive puppy.
« on: February 17, 2017, 04:19:53 PM »
Yesterday Remus graduated puppy class, while things such as Down stays and downs need more proofing (honestly I think everything will benefit from more). Now onto puppy agility and obedience one once he is five months old (puppy agility will start Tuesday.

He's a little more nervous than I would like (not freaking out and recovers quickly) but he will back up or put me between things and him the first time seeing them. Should I worry?

And one of the puppies who was in his class (a Rottweiler female) was reactive maybe dog aggressive, what can I do to keep him safe if they are stuck together again (same room on lead). And should I proof around dogs like her?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 04:21:55 PM by Charlie Ann »
My eyes have four paws, she's a golden girl, who thinks nothing is better than a kind word and a ear scratch. With her harness in hand I remember what I didn't even realized I had lost, total freedom, without roadblocks or canes.
  Born in the month of pride with the name to match, June.

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Proud of my pup, though worriBut worried about a reactive puppy.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 08:03:32 PM »
It's normal for puppies to go through periods when they seem more shy or cautious especially about brand new things.  So long as he recovers and voluntarily investigates he's fine.  They will continue to encounter things throughout their lives that occasionally will cause them to go, "what the heck?!?!"  The key is that they be able to calm themselves and check it out, that they have established a pattern for dealing with the unknown.  A couple of weeks ago Tardis did a double take while we were walking in a new park.  He does that maybe once or twice a year now as an adult, but it can still happen.  Turns out what got his attention was a big water filled plastic tube wrapped around a young tree (to keep it well watered).  I don't know what about it looked suspicious to him but it did, he told me about it, and I told him it was fine and verbally encouraged him to check it out (which he did).  As soon as he sniffed it he relaxed completely because he then knew what it was.  The whole thing took about 15 seconds.

If you are around a dog that is aggressive or reactive and you know for certain that that dog cannot reach yours (cannot make physical contact with your dog), then your job is to be the confident leader.  Position yourself between your dog and the other as much as possible and if your dog tells you he is uncomfortable that you increase the distance between him and the other dog or completely block his view of the other dog.

If you think it is possible the other dog could make physical contact with yours, then you need to leave the area for your dog's safety.  Trauma is not what a puppy needs at dog school.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 08:07:38 PM by Kirsten »
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline swimmergirl247

• Old Timer
  • hope my only reason for living
  • Mood: Wired for sound
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Proud of my pup, though worriBut worried about a reactive puppy.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 06:23:25 PM »
I agre with Kristin being nervous is part of exploring. Teddy was very confident as a puppy but got more nervious at about 10-13 months old. it was my job to boost his confidence and insure anything he was scared of I was able to show him it was okay. recently there was one of those gummy air filled dancing things and Teddy was unsure about it. he was unsure about it no treats could get him close to the item. but I walked next to it with him heeling on the other side and he realized it was okay after the second trip.

I wouldn't worry yet just keep upbeat and confident on everything.

Theodore(Teddy)SD you truly gods gift to me.
Abigail(retired SD you may not physically be with me but your wings and protection will always be in my heart.
"I may not have sight, but I'll always have vision- Alex S