Author Topic: Worried about lack of vet references?  (Read 551 times)

Offline Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Worried about lack of vet references?
« on: January 31, 2017, 08:58:33 AM »
I've launched myself into a research frenzy so bare with me as I launch question upon question into the community preparing myself educationally for a new prospect.

My biggest concern is that my vet references are skimpy to say the least. We get our dogs vaccinated for rabies at an outdoor clinic because it's much cheaper. We worm them ourselves and vaccinate for parvo, distemper etc. at home using Spectra or another similar vaccine. It depends on the dog and what they do on a daily basis. We worm the dogs ourselves. We order our heartworm meds online. We go to a mobile clinic to get tested for heartworms yearly, and use the same clinic to get microchips done. We see our vet monthly to buy flea medication (comfortis) and that's about it. We use a spay/neuter clinic for altering. We're not very loyal to one vet, so what kind of reference am I likely to get?

What kinds of questions do breeders ask vets? Should I start doing everything at the same vet office instead of finding the cheapest option? I have four or five years to build a history aside from flea preventative. I do have all my receipts and paperwork from my vet visits, would it be sufficient for me to fax that to the breeder and explain the situation?

I don't want a breeder to think I don't get health care for my pets because they go to mobile clinics, many of which switch vets often and wouldn't be able to give much of a reference beyond my payment and procedure history.
-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline ccunnin3

• Little Win Guru
  • Old Timer
  • Nicer Once You Get To Know Her
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Worried about lack of vet references?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 09:16:08 AM »
I don't know how strictly most breeders look at vet records, but you can probably supplement them with some evidence that you did, in fact, vaccinate etc.

I know that when I got my dog from a breeder I had never owned a pet before. I found a vet that I planned to take the puppy and the breeder accepted that instead.
Caitlin and AIRLIE
My Blog