Author Topic: Which bones / Chews Does Everyone Give Their Dogs?  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Arrowcom

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Which bones / Chews Does Everyone Give Their Dogs?
« on: January 10, 2017, 10:00:21 PM »
So I'm curious. I just saw a video about raw hide that was actually kind of cute and funny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc265q0ZRss and it got me thinking. I know Raw Hide is apparently unsafe to give dogs because it's a choking hazard, but what all do you give your dogs to chew on in terms of bones? Have you found any specific products you really like? I give Cindi a Nyla Bone, a Sterilized cow bone, and a Deer Antler. She likes all of her bones and chews each one at different times when she is in the mood for one over the other. Are there bones that are dangerous and you would want owners to stay away from other than chicken bones?
Accept the things you can not change, have the courage to change the things you can, and have the wisdom to know the difference.

Offline Cocoajensen

• SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Which bones / Chews Does Everyone Give Their Dogs?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 11:41:31 PM »
I use nylabones, nylabone edibles (grain free treats that take a while to eat), and even an occasional rawhide, but only supervised.  I also only buy rawhides that are processed in the US from US beef or bison (yes, you pay out the nose for them, which is why it's an occasional treat) and no bleaches used.  Sometimes you can get lucky if you live in a hunting area or a cattle-heavy area & find a butcher or tanner who will process it for you.

If you want to try rawhide, try "retriever rolls" and look inside the roll - if you see chips to fill the roll, pass on it.  You want to see a smooth sheet rolled into a tube.  Off-color is good, means it hasn't been soaked in bleach for months.

And as always, supervision. 

Other treats we use are filled kongs, mix of kibble, yogurt, peanut putter - whatever your dog likes.

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
  • My SD is my Super (hero) Dog
  • Mood: Sad
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 12:19:46 AM »
This is just my personal experience with my dogs, so it won't be true for everyone.

I have found rawhide for my dogs to be like meth. Especially for my oldest dog, Oliver. Whenever we give them rawhide, they become obsessed/addicted to it (even Max, who is really mellow about sharing his toys and isn't at all posessive, took literally an entire week or two constantly looking for a rawhide bone that I made the mistake of giving him and took away before he gave up and forgot about it). Oliver will even become aggressive; if he has a rawhide and you come anywhere near him, he's likely to bite (though if you approach just exactly right you'll get off with a warning growl). The dogs fight (not physically, thank god) over them, they steal each other's bones, they become obsessive and act out. Whenever they had rawhide, there was always unease and tension among them. Not to mention that it is dangerous to give to them without careful supervision because of choking hazards, and many brands will be dangerous because of chemical hazards. And also not to mention that it makes their breath reek IMO.

My mother and I agreed to ban rawhide treats from my home years ago, but my father (who is an insensitive jerk who never thinks before acting or speaking) kept buying them and giving them to the dogs. And he still does buy them occasionally, but we chew him out for doing so.

I understand that everyone's dog is different and that this won't hold true for everyone, but because of my experience on top of the hazards that already come with the best situations, I am vehemently opposed to giving dogs rawhide treats. Similarly to the way that many people are opposed to dominance training. Like, yeah, it works out for a lot of people, but there are so many issues that it's not worth it when there are better training methods out there. IMO, the same goes for rawhides. But that's just me.

Sorry if this was kind of a rant. Like I said, doggie meth for us.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:27:50 AM by Moonsong »
Max - shih tzu/poodle- SDiT  Max's Facebook Page
Kirby - Pied Cockatiel - official bird of SDC
My YouTube channel (I love receiving feedback on my training methods!)

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 12:31:40 AM »
Elk antlers that I personally inspect rather than buying online. That way I can make sure the size is right for  my dog. I also like the circle elk thingies (can't remember name). I have heard antlers can break teeth though - I've never had an issue but giving full disclosure.

Bully sticks unless your dog eats them so fast that it isn't weight or budget smart anymore.

Nylabones

I've recently started filling and freezing a Kong for serenity to keep her entertained in her crate instead of yelping. I can get a good 45 mins out of it. That means I really have to fill 3 kongs or it wouldn't be fair to the other dogs. In years and years of dog ownership I've never actually used a kong as a chew/entertainment/treat device but it does work well if you freeze it. Once they learn the game unfrozen they get out too fast for it to make sense.
Invisible physical and mental disabilities.
Advanced experience training obedience dogs. Very new to training service dogs.
Current Samoyeds: Rio (11), Cosmo (3), Serenity (SDiT)

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 12:52:25 AM »
I've recently started filling and freezing a Kong for serenity to keep her entertained in her crate instead of yelping. I can get a good 45 mins out of it. That means I really have to fill 3 kongs or it wouldn't be fair to the other dogs. In years and years of dog ownership I've never actually used a kong as a chew/entertainment/treat device but it does work well if you freeze it. Once they learn the game unfrozen they get out too fast for it to make sense.

What do you fill them with? I imagine peanut butter would work well, but I would worry about the huge mess that would make, not only on our carpeting (and my bedroom carpet is white!) but on our dogs' long beards/mustaches as well!

Offline EmmaH

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Exhausted
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 01:13:51 AM »

What do you fill them with? I imagine peanut butter would work well, but I would worry about the huge mess that would make, not only on our carpeting (and my bedroom carpet is white!) but on our dogs' long beards/mustaches as well!
I fill with plain yogurt, or dog safe peanut butter, or even water and kibble then freeze. You can use tons of different fillings! I usually only give them on tile or in the crate but honestly my dog usually cleans up any drips on his own!

Offline Tara

• Loquacious Member
  • Buddy's Handler
  • Mood: In the mood for love
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 01:25:19 AM »
I have crescent shaped ice cube trays that I freeze a mixture of canned pumpkin and plain yogurt in. I make up a bunch at once and freeze them in a plastic bag. I can shove 2 of these in a large sized Kong.
New Etsy shop for your animal related needs- new items to roll out in the future. (New items added 4/25)
https://www.etsy.com/shop/TreatYourCritter
(Will use funds to maintain care of my SD)

Offline Cocoajensen

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 09:14:52 AM »
We had a foster dog we used a Kong to slow down his eating.  We'd mix a few spoons of canned food with his dry kibble, then freeze it.  Never had a a problem with a mess, but did successfully make him take 15 minutes or so to eat a meal, rather than 30 seconds & barf it back up immediately.

Offline Punktestern

• Loquacious Member
  • The amazing bouncing ferret!
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
  • SDC interest: curious
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 09:38:08 AM »
Cambrie has a lot of Nylabones and two Kongs, that's about it for chew toys.

She eats too fast too, so I just put her nylabone ring on top of her food, semi-effective slow-feeder bowl. She doesn't take it out until after she's done eating, silly dog, so it works for us. :- P
Canine Welfare/Training Technician - Guide Dogs for the Blind
Cambrie - Yellow Lab Female - Guide Dogs for the Blind - Completed Phase 8 of 8 - Waiting for a Match!
PM me for Holiday Cards!

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 12:22:44 PM »
Jubi has a soft stomach so I have to be careful with what I give. Things like bully sticks, filled and frozen tracheas, himalayan chews, etc. these are rare treats. I won't give rawhide unless it is the Raw Feeding Miami rawhide. Because that is literally JUST cowhide that has been scraped of hair and fat and dried. It still retains a dark amber color and has slightly a gamey scent and slightly greasy texture. Sometimes you'll see a tiny bit of hair still on it. I don't mind, I know it's natural and the processing has been absolutely minimal. Those last quite a long time, even with aggressive chewers. I do mostly antlers (deer, elk, moose), Nylabones/Benebones (Benebones are clear favorite and seem to not shed pieces), and I will do raw bones on rare occasions when I'm able to bathe Jubi's face afterward.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline Tuttleturtle

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: ESA owner
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 12:39:30 PM »
Pippin gets antlers and on special occasions marrow bones, but he's not an SD so he's fine with the extra bacteria from the marrow bones. 
http://turtleisaverb.blogspot.com/
Ada - ESA and Migraine Alert Cat
Pippin - pet (washout rehomed to us)

Offline Sheenar

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Brain fog
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 03:56:58 PM »
I give Zeus the ring-shaped Nylabone Dura-Chew --those last for a good while and he loves them.

Occasionally, when I can get to the pet store in person, I will pick up a pig ear or a bully stick. I like antlers, but haven't found one big enough for Zeus yet at a price I can afford. He is quite a heavy/strong chewer.

Ariel, I'm interested in learning more about the Benebones and the Raw Feeding Miami rawhide. I never heard of either before. Will definitely have to look those up.

Zeus also occasionally gets a Kong stuffed with Zeus-friendly wet dog food and frozen (or with an edible chew shoved in it). Oh man. I just remembered I have a Kong in the freezer with wet dog food in it (all sealed in a freezer bag). No idea how long that has been there. At least 6 months, probably. Completely forgot about it. Probably should defrost and throw out the wet food inside. Whoops.
Sheena, Zeus, and Marzipan Anne the Kitty of Doom
http://thereisachronichope.blogspot.com/

Offline mommagrizzly

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Happy
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 04:22:59 PM »
Bailey gets the springy bully sticks. She used to get pig ears (the ones from the feed store. not the ones from the pet store with the shiny sugar coating), but she quit eating those so I quit buying them.
Do what you think you can't do
Keturah's FB Page
PM me about being pen pals

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 06:26:18 PM »
Here are the links to the Raw Feeding Miami rawhides. They come in a priority mailer.
https://www.rawfeedingmiami.com/collections/treats/products/dehydrated-rawhides   <--- In the photos of this you can see the hides drying prior to being cut up into squares.
https://www.rawfeedingmiami.com/collections/treats/products/dehydrated-rawhides  <--- I get the 12" ones and Jubi can only consume about 2" in a 2 hour period of hard work. I'd call her a moderately heavy chewer.

Benebones come in three flavors (Rotisserie Chicken, Bacon, and Peanut Butter) and supposedly have those real ingredients in them.
https://www.google.com/search?q=benebone&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS690US690&oq=benebone&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.1342j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=benebone&tbm=shop
I have a Jumbo sized Bacon dental dog chew and just got a Jumbo sized Chicken wishbone. I gave the wishbone to Jubi after dinner, she's been chewing it for the better part of the last hour. They don't chew off little pieces in my experience, I've never even seen a small piece. The nylon seems to be different, possibly harder or at least less able to chunk off then the Nylabones. For full disclosure though none of my dogs are very large, very powerful chewers so I can't really rate them with a description more than of a moderately tough chewer.

Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline Moonsong

• Dog Training Student
  • Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 12:35:00 AM »
One time I did stick a milkbone into a kong and gave it over to Max. He went out into drizzling rain for hours to work on it (for some reason if something will take him more than a second to eat he takes it outside  :rolleyes:). But the problem with the milkbones was that they got stuck in there and even I couldn't get it out! After Max gave up on it I smashed it against the ground a few times to loosen up the bone and then he tried again. Had to repeat this multiple times for him to finish getting the entire bone.