Author Topic: OMG Accident at Parking Garage  (Read 1230 times)

Offline snow0160

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
OMG Accident at Parking Garage
« on: October 30, 2016, 09:36:03 PM »
Lucky has been doing really really well. I would have said he is 100% house broken except his accident today.  He has been obsessed with eating acorns (and I give him the "leave it" and he usually does it except ate 1 or 2 when I wasn't looking) and it gave him diarrhea.  So I was walking to the elevator from the garage today with Lucky and he pooped right in the middle of a lane with cars waiting beside us.  It was soooo embarrassing!  This has never happened!  He did have diarrhea when I took him out this morning.  He must have gotten the garage confused with the general outdoor potty place.   An old woman in the car next to us gave us the nastiest look because his poop is really runny and I tried to pick it up with a bag.  It was pretty hopeless without paper towels, to be honest.   What should I do? I am a bit scared of taking him into stores.  He is an SD in training.  Has this ever happened to you?
poodle mix
"Success is going from failure to failure a loss in enthusiasm"-Winston Churchill

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: OMG Accident at Parking Garage
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
Jubilee has never gotten sick in a store. Saxon got sick twice, vomit both times. Once we were near the bathrooms and I pulled her to the bathroom and thankfully had just enough time to shut us in the stall before she puked. I cleaned it using toilet paper and the hand sanitizer I typically keep with me. I left after that because she clearly was not feeling as well as she was when we walked into the store. She wasn't sick before but spent 24 hours sick after that then was fine. Still not sure what happened.

Another time she ate a bully stick and swallowed a piece whole and vomited it under a table when I was at a meeting. Thankfully it was nearly lunch time and I was able to clean it up quickly on the break and take her out. She was seemingly fine and had no issues after that, just that one piece that she swallowed too large wasn't sitting well with her. I didn't give bully sticks much anyway so never again prior to working.

Nothing with Jubi. In the early PA days I made her empty her bladder right prior to entering a store and bowels within the hour before or we didn't go in. She got good quickly on going on command but the one or two times she didn't poop before going in I was always paranoid and we'd just do obedience and settling practice outside the store I'd planned for us to do PA in.

I think an observant handler will notice small changes in their dog that may preempt a trip outside to make sure they don't need to go to the bathroom in a younger dog. These might be things like intent on sniffing the floor or trying to keep head down, struggling to listen, slow or blowing off basic commands, walking more slowly or slightly hunched, sniffing or trying to lick at their rear end, and perhaps other more personal cues your dog may give prior to needing to relieve himself.

I had a close almost with Saxon. We were standing at the end of a grocery line and she had been sniffing and slightly whiny for about 5 minutes, went into a block in the grocery line but was dancing and kept nose bumping me. She'd been to the bathroom before we went in and she was well capable of holding it longer than the 45 minute grocery trip, but I abandoned my cart to the side and told the cashier I'd be back for it and took her outside. Saxon pulled outside and exploded diarrhea as soon as we got out to the mulchy area. There was nothing to pick up so I just kicked mulch over it and put her in the car as it was cool enough and went back to quickly check out before taking her home.

Accidents happen, but I don't think they happen without signs, whether picked up on too late or not at all. An adult dog should be able to hold their bladder easily over the course of any normal length outing without a break. At least 4-5 hours or so. If an adult peed inappropriately I'd take them to the vet worrying they were sick. If they were not sick it was handler error in not offering them adequate potty opportunities, though Jubi has held her bladder for 15 hours so I'd think a seasoned working dog should be able to do the same.

With poop, I think it's important to know your dog's digestive system. Jubi gets loose poop from pretty much everything but her food so I only give pre-approved treats in very small quantities if I plan to give anything at all. Larger chew treats like raw bones or frozen Kong get given on a day when I do not plan to work her within 12 or more hours. Any accidents from a puppy I'd say are handler error. Teaching a puppy to potty on command is not difficult and not entering somewhere to do PA until the dog is fully empty would eliminate all chances that the puppy will have an accident unless they are sick, and for the short duration of an early PA session, the dog on the end of the leash is likely not to act happy and well but ill by the end, so I'd call handler error on not noticing sick behavior during early PA.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Online Summertime.and.Azkaban

• Resident Terrier Wrangler
  • Old Timer
  • Holli and Azkaban
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 02:26:08 PM »
I am a stickler for emptying bladders before each store. Azkaban was game because that meant he was free to mark on whatever trees/bushes there are around but Rayner is less enthusiastic about being forced to squat before we can do anything.

I once had a runny poop incident in the garden section of Walmart. I was doing some introductory stuff with a young puppy prospect I had (with permission from the store manager on the stipulation that we stay in the outdoor lawn/garden area) and out of nowhere the pup squats and goes. I didn't notice any signs from her but I believe she was too caught up in the treat games we were playing to give cues. I got what of it up I could with a bag, put my foot over the remaining poop to obscure it from the public, put the pup in a down stay next to me and waited for my boyfriend to return after purchasing a bottle of water to dilute/rinse away the rest. I poured the water over the rest of the mess and we left after that. I didn't worry too much about really cleaning it since we were outdoors and I figured the stain would wash off of the concrete when it rained/when they watered the flowers next.

If you're questioning your ability to read the dog or are scared you'll miss a cue it's best to wait until you feel more confident reading him. We always toilet before leaving the house, and before entering a store so I am always aware of his bowel situation. If it seems loose or overly gassy I leave the dog home. Nova's accident in the garden section is the only time I've ever missed a toileting cue, and I've had to do like Ariel and leave the store cart and all a few times to toilet the dog.

After a while you just KNOW when the dog needs to go, especially when you're working and the two of you are communicating so actively like you must if you've a dog in public. You can tell they're "off". I used to be able to tell when Azkaban was hungry or thirsty or needed to toilet just by how he acted, and I could tell which need he needed attending.

If you're worried about freak accidents and poop you can't prevent, make a potty clean-up kit. Include bags, disinfectant wipes, some paper towels and a bottle of water. You shouldn't ever have to use it but it can give you peace of mind if you're really overly anxious about a random upset tum.

-Azkaban, Rayner, and Chewy-
"I am not interested in picking up crumbs of compassion thrown from the table of someone who considers himself my master. I want the full menu of rights" -Desmond Tutu
PM me about being pen pals or receiving a holiday card in the mail!

Offline snow0160

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Brain fog
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 02:47:03 PM »
I love the kit idea because I'm gonna need it. Yikes
poodle mix
"Success is going from failure to failure a loss in enthusiasm"-Winston Churchill