Author Topic: Dog Reactivity  (Read 823 times)

Offline kchambers4

• SD OT
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Dog Reactivity
« on: August 23, 2016, 08:28:25 PM »
Anyone ever had issues with a puppy being vocal towards other dogs? We're working on some impulse control and "quiet". What have you guys done?
Be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline RealmOfMyImagination

• Loquacious Member
  • Always In a Brain Fog
  • Mood: Brain fog
Re: Dog Reactivity
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 08:49:03 PM »
When Tucker was attacked he was iffy around other dogs for a bit.  How old is the puppy? Some if it is probably normal puppy behavior, but of course it can't continue.  We go to petsmart and work around other dogs and animals a lot, make it a normal, my trainer told me to work my dog around other dogs and make it exciting. Make him focus on you have lots of treats. Tucker's current favorite is pupperonis, I bring those broken into smaller pieces. I walk around the store and find dogs that look interesting we'll follow them a bit I give corrections when needed, (w prong) I also work him,  Sitz, Plats, if he shows interest I tell him leave it and if it doesn't listen to that I use a correction. Then treats of course.  These are my methods.  The dog should have a good idea of basic commands for this.

We enrolled Tucker in puppy classes at petsmart to be around other dogs which helped a lot when he was little.

It also depends on how close you're letting him get, Tucker doesn't mind being close to dogs he doesn't know but he doesn't like them in his face. Watch the other dogs body language and see if the owner can control said dog before introduction. The other day an owner asked if her dog and mine could say hi I said no because the owner had little control the dog was pulling and looked anxious.

Quiet is important of course ahah we're still working on it, when we're out Tucker get's antsy and whines a bit for alerting me to seizures and migraines, once I get the message he doesn't always stop and he keeps going.  :tongue2:

Dogs will be dogs don't expect too much out of them if you get stressed your dog will sense it and do short sessions of training with a younger dog it'll lose focus if you work it for too long. Again make it fun talk to your dog super fun and excited like.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:50:41 PM by RealmOfMyImagination »
🐾 Humphrey -  German Shepherd Service dog prospect 🐾

Offline Ariel

• Scruffmaster Extraordinaire
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Cynical
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 10:02:38 PM »
Vocal? No. Excitable? YES!!! I taught Jubilee to look at me when distractions happened. I started by rolling a ball across a quiet room. Eventually it would stop and she'd stare but I'd be the only interesting thing in the room and when she looked at me I'd mark and reward. Just gradually moved up the distraction level. She's still excitable, but in a very manageable way. I have every confidence that her current wiggle in place while looking back and forth between the distracting dog or person and me will dissipate with maturity.
Jubilee - Service Dog - German Wirehaired Pointer
Jubi's FB page!
In Loving Memory of Service Dog Saxon (6/5/13-12/2/15)

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 10:08:19 PM »
Excited or frustrated barking is normal, which is not to say it should be tolerated or allowed, just that you don't have to freak out about it.

First, work at a distance from other dogs where he CAN control himself.  Make it a mild challenge he can overcome so that he can succeed rather than working too close so that he fails and you become frustrated. I did have some difficulty with this with Tardis and I took him to the dog park and worked at a distance from the fenced in area where the other dogs were and then slowly worked closer and closer depending on what he could handle without losing his ability to focus.

McDevitt's book, "Control Unleashed" (puppy version) is very good at giving you exercises you can do to help teach impulse control.

When he does control himself, that's when you reinforce with what he wants so badly he's behaving incorrectly: a chance to play with his peers.

Now if you're talking about aggressive barking, a fear of other dogs or a desire to harm other dogs, that's a different problem that requires work with a behaviorist.  I'm just talking about a puppy who gets so excited around other dogs that he loses his mind in excitement or frustration at wanting to interact with them (to play with them) not to fight with them.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest