Author Topic: Dog books on my shelves  (Read 862 times)

Offline Azariah

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Tired
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Dog books on my shelves
« on: August 07, 2016, 11:07:24 PM »
I'm skimming through this to look for good DVDs/books to add to my collection. I thought I'd throw in some of my favorites from my obedience background.

1) It's a Dog not a Toaster. I don't own this but have heard it is AWESOME for people new to rally/obedience to help understand the basics. Way better than being sent to the rulebook or trying to enter a show from a premium. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1617810371/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

2) Success is in the proofing by Quigley. Amazing proofing book on many things that would be very applicable to service dogs. Has helper and non-helper proofing. Low stress to harder for the dog. etc... I have the "real laminated book" that is very portable. I think she only sells it in PDF now. Went to her seminar decades ago and was amazing with super great handouts.

3) Adele "It's a Balancing Act". Hands down my favorite obedience book.

4) Connie Cleveland's book. Read parts of it. Prefer reading her articles more in front and finish but was worth the money I spent. Hear the DVD's are awesome but I can't fork over that kind of money. Has some good sections for the puppy years that would be applicable to anyone (not just show people).

5) The winning edge by George. It is for showing in the breed ring. I did find it at all useful as a beginner. There was a dummy's guide type book someone loaned me that was way better. Might be good for an experienced person. I'm going to ebay mine.

Invisible physical and mental disabilities.
Advanced experience training obedience dogs. Very new to training service dogs.
Current Samoyeds: Rio (11), Cosmo (3), Serenity (SDiT)

Offline BlindMag

• Donna Summer
  • Old Timer
  • Diva SD
  • Mood: Wired for sound
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Dog books on my shelves
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 06:51:44 PM »
Some of my favorites are:
Canine Applied Behavior series
Reaching the Animal Mind--Karen Pryor
The Thinking Dog-Crossover to Clicker--Gail Fisher