Author Topic: Feature updates coming, could get bumpy  (Read 1908 times)

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Feature updates coming, could get bumpy
« on: October 01, 2008, 01:21:39 PM »
I checked the status of the new version of our forum software (SMF 2.0).  It is still in beta.  However, many of the new features available for 2.0 are now available for our current version.  I'll be adding some of them over the next couple of weeks or so.  With each modification there is a risk of a salsa spill, so get out your tortilla chips, patience and good humor.

What to watch for:
Google member map (in beta, but has been in use on 5,000 live sites over the last year, should be fairly stable)
Member blogs
Gmail button on profiles
Returning PM info to forum header ("you have 3 messages, 2 are new")

I am debating adding:
an article system (not sure we need since we have the front end, but people don't seem to notice the two halves of the site are connected)
a link management system (could be put on the front end instead)
SMF user email system.  This would allow email communication without revealing email addresses.
A new gallery that sounds nicer than the one we have.
A new chat room that might possibly be more accessible (we'll test it to see).

I'm also updating a few administration features which won't be visible to the average member but will make moderators' jobs a wee bit easier.

Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
Re: Feature updates coming, could get bumpy
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 03:30:08 PM »
PM notification in header modification is now installed.  Enjoy.
Kirsten and Tardis

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 03:39:19 PM »
Email security modification is now installed.  Email addresses can no longer be seen. 
Kirsten and Tardis

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 05:24:30 PM »
New Blogging system now installed.  Members with at least 100 posts to their credit should now be able to create their own personal blog.  These blogs are viewable by anyone on the internet and can be accessed by search engines such as google.  i don't know much at all about this new feature, but it appears to be very well coded with lots of nice features.  Play around with it and let me know what you think.....

For those not using the SMF default theme, the blog button is probably missing.  For the time being, you can access the blog feature at:  http://servicedogcentral.org/forum/index.php?action=blogs

If we decide we like it and want to keep it, I'll modify the code for the other themes so that they too have the blog button.  I just hesitate to put all that work in not knowing if we'll be keeping it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 05:28:00 PM by Kirsten »
Kirsten and Tardis