Twitter Facebook

Author Topic: Denison ISD won't let service dogs dress up for graduation  (Read 645 times)

Offline Sheenar

• Official Welcomer
  • With us since: 05/11/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Awards
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: waiting
Re: Denison ISD won't let service dogs dress up
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 11:16:05 PM »
Sheena and Marzipan the Kitty of Doom

http://thereisachronichope.blogspot.com/

Offline QueenSnappy

• Old Timer
  • The Queen of Snappy Comebacks
  • With us since: 12/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Awards
  • Mood: Exhausted
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Denison ISD won't let service dogs dress up for graduation
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 03:12:15 PM »
You know - I have a variety of bandanas for Gretl dependent on what we are doing and when we are doing it.  For Whippersnapper B's graduation from Boot Camp all I wanted was "camo" bandana, but not like the old style camo that was used in the Vietnam Era -- but like they use now - the so called "Desert ACU's"  I went NUTS trying to find one before we went.  I couldn't find one. 

When we got onto the base, we went into one of the uniform shops, and Whippersnapper B bought the bandana for her.  One of my favorite pix that I have is of him standing next to her - him with his ACU's on and Grets with her bandana.  But we did that out of respect for Whippersnapper B.  It was appropriate without being obnoxious. 

Today is July 1 -- today, and every day this week, she will wear her "American Flag" bandana.  That bandana has extra special meaning to me because that was Nina's bandana - Nina is my GSD who saved my life the night of the attack.  So - since we are celebrating our country's birth this week, Gretl will wear her Flag bandana. 

On July 19th she will wear her birthday cake bandana because it is her birthday or her birthday crown.  She also has one that is for Yankees games.  And she has a couple that match outfits of mine.  Our favorite is a pink and coral tie-dye.  Her bandana matches my skirt perfectly. 

In October, she'll wear Halloween - November, - turkeys -- December - Christmas AND Hanukah for her friends who are Jewish -- February is Valentines Day - March she wears her St. Patricks green sparkly bow. 

None of those things is outlandish - gaudy or gauche.  And if I were to be going someplace that dictated I shouldn't do that, like I won't be letting her wear the "costume" ones when we have to appear in front of the Legislature or at the Supreme Court building.  Those are not the kinds of places I would put something gaudy on the dog because of the location and/or the solemn nature of the event.  And that means a graduation too.  If the girls wanted to put bandanas on their dogs with the year embroidered on them, that would be fine.  Or if they even wanted to just put a little graduation cap on them and decorate it - as many kids in high school and college do - that would be fine too.  But to go all gold lame' and Solid-Gold dancers -- too much. 

Offline QueenSnappy

• Old Timer
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 03:14:39 PM »
And I should add for Whippersnapper B's high school graduation, Gretl wore a very tasteful maroon and white bandana.  The school colors are maroon and white.   I took a white bandana and a maroon bandana and tacked them together.  It was tasteful, understated and lovely.  And did not detract at all from the ceremony that we were there for. 

Gretl prides herself on being outstanding as a service dog, but not to be standing out in a crowd.  She's a modest little lady. 

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Kirsten and Tardis
  • With us since: 08/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Awards
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 05:28:26 PM »
I personally don't have an issue with holiday bandannas.  Costumes are a different story.  Yes, I put costumes on my dogs for parties and for photos.  If it's a situation where it wouldn't be appropriate for me to wear a costume, then it's probably not appropriate for my dog to either.

Regardless, there is an obvious dress code for graduations, especially when you are one of the graduates.  If the authority in charge of the ceremony tells you not to put a neon yellow cap and gown on your dog, then you don't.  If they tell you not to put on a harness that you need so your dog can do his or her job, that's a different story.  Costumes are optional.  You don't get an out for playing dress-up just because your dog in addition to being your personal fashion statement is also claimed as your service dog.  These kids need to learn about appropriateness, respect, and that they aren't above everyone else.
Kirsten and Tardis
with Luna and Ruby
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Magesteff

• Eater of books
  • Old Timer
  • I want to be a mysterious Woman...
  • With us since: 06/01/2011
    YearsYearsYears
    • Awards
  • Mood: Weird
  • SDC interest: waiting
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 06:56:16 PM »
If they girls had put bandannas with little caps on them on the dogs, there probably would be no story. But we have discussed the ethics behind dressing up service dogs - and for the most part, other than bandannas, SDs should only be dressed up in costume for specific holiday parties/events and the rest of the time, a SD should look professional, and be dressed as befits a service dog and not a "Purse Dog" accessory.
Steffeny, with Max, Hobbes and Spike. Dog camp postponed until I am in a better situation, financially and #of animal wise.
FB: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Magesteff

Offline QueenSnappy

• Old Timer
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2013, 07:21:39 PM »
QS envisions the two little girls stomping their feet and holding their breath trying to get their way. 

QS also envisions bitch-slapping them too........and saying GTFU!

Information at this site is provided solely for the user's information and, while thought to be accurate, is provided strictly "as is" and without warranty of any kind. It is not intended to be used as a substitute for legal counsel from a qualified attorney. Service Dog Central, its agents, affiliates, employees or contractors will not be liable to you for any damages, direct or indirect, or lost profits arising out of your use of information provided at this site, or information provided at any other site that can be accessed from this site.