Twitter Facebook

Author Topic: Amy Copeland gets 'mind blowing' service dog  (Read 360 times)

Offline Sila

• Old Timer
  • Sila & Cloey (unofficial ESA/heart dog)
  • With us since: 04/12/2012
    YearsYears
    • Awards
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: ESA owner
Amy Copeland gets 'mind blowing' service dog
« on: July 01, 2013, 04:20:56 AM »
http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/07/01/aimee-copeland-service-dog
HLNtv.com-9 minutes ago
The young Georgia woman who survived a flesh-eating bacteria has an impressive new room-mate. Aimee Copeland got to know her new service dog this ...
So capable of love yet, too scared to open up &
Just wanna be accepted, but can't show that you care. -Jem

Offline QueenSnappy

• Old Timer
  • The Queen of Snappy Comebacks
  • With us since: 12/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Awards
  • Mood: Exhausted
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Amy Copeland gets 'mind blowing' service dog
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 03:18:44 PM »
Wow!!  I remember when that young lady's accident happened.  She was having a day out with friends and they were using a home-made zip line.  She somehow cut her leg and had landed in some kind of pond water - and that little tiny cut on her leg let in the bacteria that causes the flesh eating disease -- she lost both hands - one leg - and struggled just to survive. 

She has become a source of strength to her family and friends because of her positive kick-butt attitude!

Good for you Aimee!!!!

Offline Nikki

• With us since: 12/05/2013
    Years
    • Awards
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 04:13:11 PM »
This story makes me so happy! I feel like the dog will change her life for the better and her public awareness will bring a lot of good to the SD community (hopefully!)

Offline LolaMarigolda

• Hormonal sarcasm week
  • Old Timer
  • With us since: 09/10/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Awards
  • Mood: Evil
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »
The "program" that has supplied the dog also operates a registry, but also links to SDC's front end about scam registeries.  I guess they think their registry is more legit because it is only for dogs trained by their affiliate trainers.   :headbang:

Looks like they are recycling the psds task list and have come up with some interesting additions I suspect other Autism SD providers will soon jump on.
My relationship with my SD is like a marriage.  In fact, my two-legged husband calls Scooter "the other man".

Scooter (Beagle) current partner ***Benelli & Remington (Remy) SDITs

Offline Erin-Michael

• Loquacious Member
  • With us since: 06/09/2012
    YearsYears
    • Awards
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 09:25:40 PM »
I thought that they recommended people who lost limbs etc wait before getting a dog?  I seem to remember reading that it helped them first learn to adjust to their injury before they learned to adjust to a dog as a helper?
Erin, Michael and Duke
"I'm not crazy, I am just misunderstood!"
LORD OF THE FLIES!!! CONQUERER OF ALL WORLDS!!!

Offline LolaMarigolda

• Hormonal sarcasm week
  • Old Timer
  • With us since: 09/10/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • Awards
  • Mood: Evil
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 09:38:42 PM »
I thought that they recommended people who lost limbs etc wait before getting a dog?  I seem to remember reading that it helped them first learn to adjust to their injury before they learned to adjust to a dog as a helper?

They do.  And reputable programs reinforce the wait.  According to the local news, the dog still has more training to complete (it's only a year old) before it goes to live/work with her full time.  They should have just called this a meet-n-greet.
My relationship with my SD is like a marriage.  In fact, my two-legged husband calls Scooter "the other man".

Scooter (Beagle) current partner ***Benelli & Remington (Remy) SDITs

Offline Erin-Michael

• Loquacious Member
  • With us since: 06/09/2012
    YearsYears
    • Awards
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 09:20:40 PM »

They do.  And reputable programs reinforce the wait.  According to the local news, the dog still has more training to complete (it's only a year old) before it goes to live/work with her full time.  They should have just called this a meet-n-greet.

That makes a lot of sense, so the dog is in training still!!
Erin, Michael and Duke
"I'm not crazy, I am just misunderstood!"
LORD OF THE FLIES!!! CONQUERER OF ALL WORLDS!!!

Information at this site is provided solely for the user's information and, while thought to be accurate, is provided strictly "as is" and without warranty of any kind. It is not intended to be used as a substitute for legal counsel from a qualified attorney. Service Dog Central, its agents, affiliates, employees or contractors will not be liable to you for any damages, direct or indirect, or lost profits arising out of your use of information provided at this site, or information provided at any other site that can be accessed from this site.