Author Topic: A Book to Avoid: How to Train a Psychiatric Service Dog by Bob Taylor  (Read 3176 times)

Offline The Reethmeister

• My dog gave me a life.
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
I was given a kindle version of this book.  It is awful in every possible way, IMO.  Terribly written.  I don't believe the guy actually trained dogs or if he did, he used bizarre inhumane methods.  There are some reviews about this book on Amazon.  I had to stop reading it about 1/2 way through.  If you are looking for a training book for psych dogs, this ISN'T it.  :tongue:
Ellen with the Reethmeister (mini-Aussie) who runs my life and Hattie (smooth collie) who wants to. www.respectthevest.com

Offline labs4ever

• SDC Book Club and welcome comittee Board Moderator
  • Official Welcomer
  • Opening the doors of life together as a team! ^_^
  • Mood: Tired
Can you give more details re training methods?  There was a PSD training guide i read on my kindle once.  I disliked it as it recomended litigation and was all over the place training wise.
Kerri and Sophie
Once a Stray now she saves the day! Guidedog/seizure response/wheelchair mobility
Flicks Sensational Mandy  Rue ML ESA.  QUEEN OF NICE

Offline The Reethmeister

• My dog gave me a life.
  • Mood: Happy
First, he recommended having the pup live outside, not allowed to play in the house, only brought into the house for "quiet time".  He recommended a "tie out" method to introduce the pup to wearing a choke chain collar, gradually introducing and giving the dog treats when wearing the collar, then taking the collar off.  He uses a "double leash" method of training.  That is, the dog wears a collar on a line attached to a pole AND the choke chain with the leash held by the trainer.  First, I've never heard of that method of training (even though he claims to be an "expert" trainer) and it made me so sick and furious I had to stop reading the book.

Otherwise, the book is a rambly, repetitive, grammatical mess--like he did some stream of consciousness while in an altered state, did not edit it and published it as a finished product.  Terrible.
Ellen with the Reethmeister (mini-Aussie) who runs my life and Hattie (smooth collie) who wants to. www.respectthevest.com

Offline QueenSnappy

• Old Timer
  • The Queen of Snappy Comebacks
  • Mood: Exhausted
First, he recommended having the pup live outside, not allowed to play in the house, only brought into the house for "quiet time".  He recommended a "tie out" method to introduce the pup to wearing a choke chain collar, gradually introducing and giving the dog treats when wearing the collar, then taking the collar off.  He uses a "double leash" method of training.  That is, the dog wears a collar on a line attached to a pole AND the choke chain with the leash held by the trainer.  First, I've never heard of that method of training (even though he claims to be an "expert" trainer) and it made me so sick and furious I had to stop reading the book.

Otherwise, the book is a rambly, repetitive, grammatical mess--like he did some stream of consciousness while in an altered state, did not edit it and published it as a finished product.  Terrible.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Follow Diva on her Official Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/Gretltheservicedog