Author Topic: Forum shutdown IMMINENT (10 minutes tops)  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Forum shutdown IMMINENT (10 minutes tops)
« on: April 26, 2013, 11:19:41 AM »
I'm now up to 4 spammers per hour or close to 100 per day.  I can't wait until Sunday to add the new spam modules because I quite simply cannot keep up with the load and the server is starting to struggle too.  I'll be shutting the forum down as soon as everyone here has peed to get this software in immediately.

If the salsa god is with us, we'll be back up in an hour.  Meanwhile, there's the chat room.  Remember the password is now "letmein."
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Forum shutdown IMMINENT (10 minutes tops)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 12:47:58 PM »
Knock on wood, the installation seems to have gone well.  There was a brief period when you had to be in China to access the forum, but I think it is now blocking only China.  I hit on a compromise.  Those in China can read the public areas, but cannot register or vote.

We were getting hit by what amounted to spam attacks.  One bot would come in and rapid fire try to register hoping to get in.  Like a dozen hits in one minute just from that one bot.  And that's only the ones making it through the first two filters.  I've installed three additional filters.  We now have six.  Yes, six different spam filters.  One of them added a new feature which I can't find yet, but apparently it will give the forum a flag counter similar to the one on the front end (different look, similar data).

Fingers crossed this went well and our regular members can still get in.  I'm going to be away from the computer for several hours.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest