Author Topic: Leerburg: Dealing With Dominant & Aggressive Dogs DVD Review  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Tameesha

• Owner Trainer
  • Board Moderator
  • Don't wait for tomorrow.
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Leerburg: Dealing With Dominant & Aggressive Dogs DVD Review
« on: March 21, 2013, 10:30:17 PM »
"Tameesha's Disclaimer" :
This is not a DVD that should be needed for ANY dog doing Service Dog work ever. If you do think you need this DVD, the dog needs to be retired before starting this program.

For basic information on pack leadership I suggest the Leerburg DVDs "Establishing Pack Structure With The Family Pet" (for Adult Dogs) and "Living With Your Puppy - Establishing Pack Structure" (for Puppies) instead.

This DVD is worth the money if you do in fact have a Dominant or Aggressive dog to deal with. It covers many alternatives on how to handle and train a Dominant or Aggressive dog instead of re-homing or putting the dog down. I recommend it to anyone who many have such a dog or a dog they need to re-establish pack leadership with.

This video also covers things such as management and how to break up a dog fight. It also has a long explanatory section on training equipment (including types of muzzles) and use.

It includes a more detailed explanation of Ed Frawley's "Groundwork To Establishing Pack Leadership" program focused on Dominant and Aggressive Dogs. He takes these dogs through a longer, stricter version of his Groundwork program that he discusses in "Establishing Pack Structure With The Family Pet" and on his website.

He does not use the "tsss" and "touch/poke/kick" that is seen used by Ceaser Milan. He is all about being consistent and fair in establishing pack leadership. His corrections can appear hard but he is all about using the appropriate level for the situation and the dogs temperament - "Hard enough to obtain obedience but no harder! Any harder than the level necessary for obedience is abuse!"

I do recommend this DVD for dogs who are at risk of injuring their handler (on purpose or accidental), on the verge of being re-homed, put down, or who are aggressive.

The run-time of this DVD is approx. 3 hours and 45 minutes.
It does not have built in captioning for the Hearing Impaired.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:37:40 PM by Tameesha »
** Valorzen's Indy CGC NTD CA ITD RN CD CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Valorzen's Scrappy NTD CA RATN CGC CGCA CGCU RATO SPOT-ON ** Emmett Von Skykeeper CA NTD RATI RATN CGC CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Zodiac's Playing With Fire RATI RATN RATO **

Offline Magesteff

• Eater of books
  • Old Timer
  • I want to be a mysterious Woman...
  • Mood: Annoyed
  • SDC interest: waiting
Re: Leerburg: Dealing With Dominant & Aggressive Dogs DVD Review
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 03:26:30 PM »
First of all, I don't know why I am just now seeing this as a new post (i.e. warning stating "this potic has not been posted in for at least 15 days - um, I did not see this topic 15 days ago.)

Re: Pack Structure. From what I have read in Temple Grafdin's work "Animals make us Human" pack stucture is an artificial structure. Wolves formed packs in zoos and larger refuges becuase they were in a very limited space, and had far too many wolves for the given space. They had to find a way to survive living in that space without constantly fighting each other. The structure that developed from that was "pack." Out in the wild, when packs were released into places like Yellowstone -packs broke up into the natural grouping, whioch consists of one mated pair, and their sub-adult offspirng. generally the most recent litter and one or two members of the litter just before the most recent.

This is where Cesar Milan and others may be missing in their training methods. CM does have large groups of dogs which live together, and again, because it is forcing the dogs to live in too small a space, they need an artificial structure to keep them from constantly fighting for resources.

Dogs, as the have become, are basically arrested in a sub-adult state of mind so they need an adult to set and structure their environment. They  need an adult/parent to shape what is expected and to cusion them from the harsh things in the environment. That is what owners/Handlers are, an equivalent to the parent animal who does the hunting, decideds which den will be used, and who gets to eat and what amount, and what is acceptable behavior between the sub-adult and both the Adult (owner) and any other siblings (other dogs, or other pets) in the home.
Steffeny, with Hobbes. In memory of Spike (1989 ~ 12/14/2014) my little old gentleman, and Max (9/21/2006 ~ 6/2/2015).  Dog camp postponed until I am in a better situation.
FB:http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Magesteff