Author Topic: Until Tuesday  (Read 14866 times)

Offline Erin-Michael

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Until Tuesday
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:43:18 PM »
Until Tuesday: A Wounded Warrior and the Golden Retriever Who Saved Him
by Former Captian Luis Carlos Montalvan

My husband and I recently bought and read this book about another veteran with similar issues to my husband.  It is an awesome book, even if the authors blatant liberalism did make my husband throw the book a few times!!  That said, it was an excellent book that anyone with a service dog could relate too.  It even addresses the frustrations of dealing with idiots who didn't know how to handle a service dog in their restaurants etc.  Just a great book and I would love to hear the thoughts from others who might have read it too?
Erin, Michael and Duke
"I'm not crazy, I am just misunderstood!"
LORD OF THE FLIES!!! CONQUERER OF ALL WORLDS!!!

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: Until Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 08:58:24 PM »
He's a liar.  The book may be inspiring, but it's largely fiction and the author is hostile and damaging to the SD community by being sue happy and unnecessarily confrontational.  Do a search on his name in the forum and you'll find the details.
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Magesteff

• Eater of books
  • Old Timer
  • I want to be a mysterious Woman...
  • Mood: Annoyed
  • SDC interest: waiting
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 09:12:22 PM »
I have not read the book, but have read the news articles that describe that the events this man has written about are false. Not one of them are true events. None of them match the actual record of his service or the records of events with his squad overseas.

When at book signings or presentations, he allows his "service dog" to randomly socialize with strangers in the audience, nor does he control or recall his dog when it chooses to wander off.

I have grave doubts about his dog's training, and that he is falsley claiming being wounded during a military assignment just so he can capitalize on the publicity that being a "wounded warrior" brings with it.

He is making money off of the public's support of Veterans, without being honest about his service the events that occurred during his service.

It makes me feel sick. My uncle served in the military, I have friends that are in the military. That a publisher promosts these lies without checking with the branch of service he was in and verifying that the events are true or false, and continuing to support and publish the book, should be called out on the carpet for it. It is disgusting.
Steffeny, with Hobbes. In memory of Spike (1989 ~ 12/14/2014) my little old gentleman, and Max (9/21/2006 ~ 6/2/2015).  Dog camp postponed until I am in a better situation.
FB:http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Magesteff

Offline QueenSnappy

• Old Timer
  • The Queen of Snappy Comebacks
  • Mood: Exhausted
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 07:58:39 AM »
He's not a nice person.  'nuf said. 

I won't get into any other conversations about him.   :angry:
Follow Diva on her Official Facebook Page:

https://www.facebook.com/Gretltheservicedog

Offline Erin-Michael

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 10:07:54 PM »
Hmm, well my husband was less than pleased with his obvious liberalism but we liked the book otherwise.  As for questioning his service, that is something that gets mine and my husbands hackles up so we will move on.  That said, I can not speak to the character of Montalvan and what he has done after he got back from Iraq.  I tend to not support those that are 'sue-happy,' but I will have to do a little more research on the rest of things mentioned.
Erin, Michael and Duke

Offline Tuttleturtle

• Official Welcomer
  • Mood: Brain fog
  • SDC interest: ESA owner
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 10:30:51 PM »
Is there another book about/by a veteran with a service dog that can be recommended in its place to people like her husband?
http://turtleisaverb.blogspot.com/
Ada - ESA and Migraine Alert Cat
Pippin - pet (washout rehomed to us)

Offline Magesteff

• Eater of books
  • Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 07:51:28 PM »
Tuttle, I don't remember the name id the handler or dog, but I think the fellow who has a servise dog that walked down the stairs from (the 85th?), an upper level of the Twin Towers on that fateful day September 11, 2001, might have also been retired military? All I remember was that the man had a service dog that took him down the stairs after the tower was hit by the plane.
Steffeny, with Hobbes. In memory of Spike (1989 ~ 12/14/2014) my little old gentleman, and Max (9/21/2006 ~ 6/2/2015).  Dog camp postponed until I am in a better situation.

Offline autisticgenius

• Loquacious Member
  • Milo 7/04-9/11
  • Mood: Weird
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 09:20:40 PM »
The guide dog's name was Roselle. When she passed away, the program she was from retired her name in her honor.
Dear Optimist, Pessimist, and Realist,
While you guys were arguing about the glass of water, I drank it.
Sincerely, The Opportunist

Offline Magesteff

• Eater of books
  • Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 01:41:41 AM »
Thanks Autistic Genius!

Offline QueenSnappy

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »
What burns my backside about this guy is he is out there because he had a "compelling" story and he is out there making people believe all the wrong things about service dogs.  What really really really burns my tush is that he has been outed several times by other persons in his former Unit and he continues to spread those lies about what happened to him.  He is one of the reasons that there is mistrust in the military and in our leaders.  As the mom of a soldier - the sister as a soldier - the daughter, grand-daughter of soldiers, this is a personal affront to me. 

His treatment of one of my friends and myself in his little closed "group" when someone asked about a SD acting aggressively and calling my friend "mentally unsound" and then sending me a PM that I did not have his "permission or blessing" to post copies of the law regarding aggressive SD's on "his" site would put me into moderation - he wasn't going to outright ban me because he had deemed me "as someone worthy, who could positively contribute", but I was on the edge.  I quit his group and blocked him on the rotting cesspool of FB that moment.  I have come too far in my life and overcome too much to let someone like that put me down - not on something I know is right.  No way. 

On a slight side note, I own a classic car that I enter in car shows.  He had commented on a photo of Grets in my car.  I told him that if he did any more of his talks in my area, maybe I would bring the car and we could pose his dog and my dog together in the car (it's a convertible).  He told me that after speaking to his publicist and his attorney, he would agree to that but only if I paid him a fee to use his likeness.  WHAT???!!!???  No thanks dude.  I don't want your dog in my car any old way.  Pfffftttt!!!   :tongue: :tongue:

THAT is the kind of man he is.  Oh yeah - and let's not forget about the stalking charge in Delaware. 

Offline Erin-Michael

• Loquacious Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 09:30:58 PM »
QueenSnappy, the problem is that a military unit is larger than you think and someone could have feasibly been in his unit and not be aware of what he did overseas.  My husband was in a company of about 200 soldiers but he only left the FOB's with around 12 on a regular basis.  If you asked any of the other 188 soldiers about my husbands service you would find someone who might disagree with him.  Again, I can NOT speak of what he has done since he came home but I will give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his wartime service.  He has been awarded a Purple Heart and has his VA claim processed, all of which would have been investigated.  I find it unlikely that he has faked any of this.  That said, I am still looking into his post-Iraq experiences.
Erin, Michael and Duke

Offline QueenSnappy

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 01:44:59 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/comrades-iraq-veterans-memoir-memories-094739040.html

Literally every combat experience he's had in that book that I'm familiar with is based on a modicum of truth interspersed with incredible embellishments on his part," former Staff Sgt. Len Dannhaus, who treated Montalvan in the attack's immediate aftermath, told the AP in an email.

Capt. Todd Hertling said he responded to the scene in the immediate aftermath as leader of the team that secured the area of the 2003 attack described by Montalvan and strongly disagreed with Montalvan's account. "Montalvan's embellished story is detrimental and offensive to honest veterans who have sought help for the unseen wounds of war," Hertling said.

Offline LolaMarigolda

• Hormonal sarcasm week
  • Old Timer
  • Mood: Evil
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 03:14:07 AM »
Quote from: Erin-Michael ink=topic=2394.msg181764#msg181764 date=1363487458
  Again, I can NOT spek of what he has done since he came home but I will give him the benefit of the doubt when it comes to his wartime service.  He has been awarded a Purple Heart and has his VA claim processed, all of which would have been investigated.  I find it unlikely that he has faked any of this.  That said, I am still looking into his post-Iraq experiences.

As the wife of a career AD MM, sister of a decorated Vietnam Vet (2 tours), niece of a decorated WWII pilot, and a very close cousin of a career Army soldier who ran around the Gulf in the early 90's during Desert Storm/Shield and has practically lived over there for the last 10 years (yada, yada, yada...the entire family bloodline runs deep to military and LE), I'm gonna call a spade a spade.

First, multiple people who were on the ground that day contradict his story including where he claims he had to kill his attacker (the basis for his ptsd claim).  That makes him a liar.

Second, if he had been injured as severely as he claims, he would have been evac'd.  The initial medical reports never supported his claim.  It was later, at a different appointment and location, the story developed; some of the articles have stated the initial medical reports info was removed from the hard copy (which is easy to do) and that due to whatever reason it was never in the computer.  You (any AD MM or dependent) go into a Military MTF, they ask what's wrong/why are you here.  It is recorded and quoted as the "S" part of the SOAP notes even if earlier paperwork indicates something different in the "O" & "A" sections.

Third, he pulled a crying bitch fit that he ran up his command chain when he wasn't put in for a purple heart.  None of them would sign off on it.  So, he went elsewhere and got on his proverbial knees.  Purple hearts don't have the same meaning as in years past.  I know several AD men with them; the general consensus is "they can be given out like candy" and they felt they didn't deserve it.

IMHO, there isn't much difference between him and the steaming piles of   :poo: cashing in while committing stolen valor.  There are a couple of sites that more or less lay out how he did it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:01:53 PM by springingpups »
My relationship with my SD is like a marriage.  In fact, my two-legged husband calls Scooter "the other man".
KD & Remington Barrett (Remy)
Scooter (14 February 2004 - 16 September 2015)

Offline Moonfall

• Loquacious Member
  • Moonfall and Alli
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 03:34:50 AM »
It isn't about a soldier but Thunder Dog was a great read. It's about a SD who saves the life of her handler on 9-11. I enjoyed it.

I don't know much about military service- my parents served a long time ago but neither was in combat. All I can say is I hope he is being legitimate because getting some good publicity for a real, genuine service dog and wounded soldier might be a good thing for us. If not, shame on him, and hopefully it'll stop soon.
Douglas- Retired SD

Alli- SD

Offline arrianya

• Surrealist At Large
  • Old Timer
  • Trying to stay sane in the asylum of dreams
  • Mood: In the mood for love
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 03:00:54 PM »
It won't stop Moonfall... and this person spoke at Planet Dog.... while there his dog roamed unchecked and he encouraged everyone to pet it despite having do not pet all over the dog. He is an attention like my mother in every sense of the word.
"I'm quirky, silly, blunt, and broken.  My days are sometimes too dark, and my nights are sometimes too long. I often trip over my own insecurities. I require attention, long for passion, and wish to be desired. I love hard with all that i have.. and even with my faults, I am worth loving"-D.Grayson