Author Topic: Thunder Dog  (Read 2082 times)

Offline Amber

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Weird
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Thunder Dog
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:07:11 PM »
Previously discussed here: http://servicedogcentral.org/forum/index.php/topic,15630.0.html

I just got around to reading this and really enjoyed it - from all aspects.  It is thorough talking about his life growing up in a family that refused to follow the doctor's suggestions to put him in a home because he was blind, learning to ride a bike and his neighbors reaction, navigating access disputes - both those with a dog and for other reasons.  In all, I love his approach toward blindness, and wish everyone would read, or at least hear his views on "disability" because they are so empowering.

I started it this morning and didn't stop until I was finished reading it!
Maigumi of Liberty Acres CGCA ITD - Maigee :paw: Therapy Dog and Retired Service Dog
Knight in Chocolate Armor CGCA NTD - Luie :ball: Lab Mix, Service Dog in Training

Offline nhaar

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Okay
  • SDC interest: SD partner
Re: Thunder Dog
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:24:25 PM »
I'm just finishing reading this one too! I've been listening to the audiobook. I'm not quite done yet but I've enjoyed it so far, for the same reasons. The narrator's voice on the audiobook is really strange, though, it's like listening to a reporter on the evening news!

Offline Amber

• Old Timer
  • Mood: Weird
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 10:26:57 PM »
I'm just finishing reading this one too! I've been listening to the audiobook. I'm not quite done yet but I've enjoyed it so far, for the same reasons. The narrator's voice on the audiobook is really strange, though, it's like listening to a reporter on the evening news!

I got a new tablet and it was the book I used to break it in, but I didn't have any good TTS voices loaded so mine was read by a weird high pitched voice chick who was kind of annoying.  But I was too into the book to change it.  Now, though, I have a nice dude named Tyler to read my books to me.
Maigumi of Liberty Acres CGCA ITD - Maigee :paw: Therapy Dog and Retired Service Dog
Knight in Chocolate Armor CGCA NTD - Luie :ball: Lab Mix, Service Dog in Training

Offline unicyclechick

• Loquacious Member
  • Mood: Giddy
  • SDC interest: SD partner
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:40:23 PM »
im just starting to read it now literally got the book about 10 minutes ago

Offline Tameesha

• Owner Trainer
  • Board Moderator
  • Don't wait for tomorrow.
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 10:46:29 PM »
I'm glad to see someone using this board besides me! :leaftoss: :rocket:

All of the topics on this board are unlocked so you can always add to an old topic if you just got around to reading the same book.  :wub:
** Valorzen's Indy CGC NTD CA ITD RN CD CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Valorzen's Scrappy NTD CA RATN CGC CGCA CGCU RATO SPOT-ON ** Emmett Von Skykeeper CA NTD RATI RATN CGC CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Zodiac's Playing With Fire RATI RATN RATO **