Author Topic: basic clicker book/kit  (Read 3661 times)

Offline Cera

• Old Timer
  • Life is like a bag of...
  • Mood: Excited
  • SDC interest: SD partner
basic clicker book/kit
« on: November 26, 2012, 09:26:58 PM »
My friend has a 6mo puppy. She actually took him to puppy class but just gets angry at him because he "doesn't want to" sit or down unless she lures him. I suggested clicker training, but she is clueless on what I mean. Apparently her instructor doesn't use clickers in class because they give her a headache.

So I'd like to put together a simple kit that will actually get her started. My gift budget is $20, and the prepackaged Karen Pryor kits are about that price (http://www.amazon.com/Karen-Pryor-Getting-Started-Training/dp/B0002UVIB8/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_28), but would that be the best book to go with? Or will another book be better? I would think I'd get more in this kit if I buy the book second-hand and put the kit together myself.

My friend struggles with reading, so photos and bullets are helpful, but it also has to be enough to really explain it and be something she will want to do. If its too confusing I know she will give up (she's still rubbing her nose in her dogs accidents even though I've explained that doesn't help). She does think agility looks neat, but her mindset really needs changing. Doesn't understand puppies usually aren't stubborn, but confused.
A Story of Hope: http://blog.workndog.org/hopesclan/

Hope can never be lost... only found...

Offline aissela

• Miko, SDiT
  • Mood: Happy
  • SDC interest: owner-trainer
Re: basic clicker book/kit
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 10:28:08 PM »
She can get a clicker at most pet stores for a very cheap price. Some big name pet stores have them for as little as 99 cents.

The book I recommend for any beginner in clicker training is this one:
  • 51 Puppy Tricks: Step-by-Step Activities to Engage, Challenge, and Bond with Your Puppy [Paperback] Author: Kyra Sundance.
This one is VERY visual. It shows (with photos!!) every step to teach all sorts of beginner to advanced obedience and cute tricks. It's simple enough for the most inexperienced dog owner. It also includes an introduction to clicker training and why it works. It even has little boxes with FAQs and troubleshooting if the person is having trouble with a specific behavior. The whole book is very positive.

A sample page from inside the book: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61OoioIp34L.jpg

Offline blkpanther0001

• Old Timer
  • Have A Tail Wagging Day
  • Mood: Tired
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 10:47:17 PM »
we have a book at Petco, called teach yourself visually it is not a clicker book but a great step by step visual obedience training book with some tricks also.

We have several other clicker books, I will get the names of them tomorrow and post them here.
Sonya, Kali and Neiko, Moulin and Pheonix

Offline Cera

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 10:54:22 PM »
Yes, I know clickers are cheap which is why I'd rather put my own kit together with some treats, a clicker, book or whatever. I need to make a bulk order of the clickers I like anyway and will throw one or two in to her kit. I'm not a fan of the metal ones in the pet stores and like the button ones, so I order them from china.

The page you linked looks like the individual is luring, not capturing the behavior. Does it explain capturing and chaining as well?

I'm really hoping to encourage her to step out of the box and start marking unprompted positive behaviors instead of focusing on the negatives... which is why I think clicker training would be especially helpful.

Offline Cera

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 10:56:37 PM »
This review says the clicker isn't discussed???

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2DSIE30SSRFVD/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R2DSIE30SSRFVD

(now I'm grumbling about how I wish I could just go to Barns and Noble and look at these books myself. I can't because: A. My service dog is dead. B. Barns and Noble closed down and now they have yet another furniture store in its place. Crud, because I want to get out of this house).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:58:24 PM by Cera »

Offline Tameesha

• Owner Trainer
  • Board Moderator
  • Don't wait for tomorrow.
  • Mood: Vulcans have no moods
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 11:01:36 PM »
I own both of those Krya Sundance books (51 puppy and 101 dog tricks) what did you need to know? If it explains capturing and chaining?
** Valorzen's Indy CGC NTD CA ITD RN CD CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Valorzen's Scrappy NTD CA RATN CGC CGCA CGCU RATO SPOT-ON ** Emmett Von Skykeeper CA NTD RATI RATN CGC CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Zodiac's Playing With Fire RATI RATN RATO **

Offline Cera

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 11:11:48 PM »
I own both of those Krya Sundance books (51 puppy and 101 dog tricks) what did you need to know? If it explains capturing and chaining?
How are the tricks taught? Do they use capturing, shaping, and chaining? Do they have a clear explanation of charging the clicker and that you click for an offered positive behavior, not to get a dogs attention (what she seems to think now). Do they explain training in small increments and jackpots?

Offline Tameesha

• Owner Trainer
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 11:41:44 PM »
How are the tricks taught? Do they use capturing, shaping, and chaining? Do they have a clear explanation of charging the clicker and that you click for an offered positive behavior, not to get a dogs attention (what she seems to think now). Do they explain training in small increments and jackpots?

Alright this is what I'm looking at in the 51 Puppy Tricks book (by the way I like and  recommend both of these books). It goes through an introduction explaining positive reinforcement and tips (keep it fun, short, end on a high note). Using treats, reward success ignore the rest, and calming excited puppies. Then it explains "gear" - treats, clicker, bait bag, etc.

The first "trick" is "respond to a clicker" which is basically what we would consider loading the clicker. This is under the first section "Preliminary Skills". I taught Indy these before I taught him anything else (I used these books to teach Indy many of his "tricks"). Each section starts with an intro on what to expect and how to gain these behaviors.

:trx: Preliminary Skills
respond to a clicker
touch my hand
watch me
settle
kennel up
come
stay
find me

:trx: Body positions
sit
down
crawl
roll over
paws up
bow your head
tug
kisses
head tilt
walk on a loose leash
shake hands
bark
sing

Then there is a coordination section, "body awareness" I didn't teach much of these off the bat.

:trx: Communication - I used this section after the preliminary one
ring a bell to go outside
get your leash
bring your food dish
sit before chowtime
leave it
which hand holds the treat?
shell game
find the hidden veggies
close the door
turn on a tap light

Here is where you were interested. These two sections are tricks that use shaping and chaining.

:trx: Shape behavior
soccer
beginning fetch
fetch the newspaper to hand
open the door
hide your eyes
skateboard

:trx: Chaining
tidy up toys into toy box
litter in the step can
soda from the fridge
mail from the mailbox

The book doesn't have a section on "capturing" but does talk about luring. There is also a nice section that lists the tricks by level because in the book they are arranged by type. The levels are "easy" "intermediate" "advanced"

I used these books heavily during Indy's puppyhood.
Note: The 101 Dog Tricks book does Not include the introduction to positive reinforcement or clicker training. If you chose start her with the puppy book and if she gets into it then she could buy the 101 dog tricks on her own. The Dog trick book has a lot of physically-heavy tricks (like jumping) that puppies should not do.

These books are strictly "tricks" it does not cover housebreaking or behavior. I did use the "ring the bell to go outside" to help with Indy's housebreaking.

I hope this helped!!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 11:46:21 PM by Tameesha »
** Valorzen's Indy CGC NTD CA ITD RN CD CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Valorzen's Scrappy NTD CA RATN CGC CGCA CGCU RATO SPOT-ON ** Emmett Von Skykeeper CA NTD RATI RATN CGC CGCA CGCU SPOT-ON ** Zodiac's Playing With Fire RATI RATN RATO **

Offline Cera

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 11:52:58 PM »
Thank you. That's perfect!

The dog is 6m and I'm not wanting to get into housebreaking with her, and having this be the go-all for dog training. Fortunately she is going to continue with classes. I just wanted to make sure the clicker was explained and primarily used, so my 'kit' makes sense. Good to know the puppy one has the info I need but the dog one does not. I was reading the puppy reviews and everyone was saying to get the dog one instead because it has more tricks and the same information.

Offline Tameesha

• Owner Trainer
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 12:49:59 AM »
I was reading the puppy reviews and everyone was saying to get the dog one instead because it has more tricks and the same information.

Sure some of the tricks are the same. But it does lack the intro/clicker information. Then it adds 20-30 physically-heavy tricks - jumps, soccer, basketball, etc. Nearly useless for a puppy under age 2.

It does go into advanced fetch. The tricks are taught and shown the same way (visually similar book).

Offline Kirsten

• Administrator
  • Have a flufftastic day!
  • Mood: Okay
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 01:01:23 AM »
This is the one I'd recommend:  http://www.amazon.com/Clicking-Your-Dog-Step-Step/dp/189094808X

Clicking with Your Dog by Peggy Tillman.  She uses very clear line drawings to illustrate each exercise and gives a clear introduction to clicker training.  It's just the basics, but it's an excellent start.  If she'll tolerate a used copy, you'll stay in budget. 
If you want a new copy, you can get it from dogwise for $25:  http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=dtb695
From Barnes & Nobel for $22:  http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/clicking-with-your-dog-peggy-tillman/1004678525
Kirsten and Tardis
In loving memory of Cole (1/11/99 - 6/26/12)  He gave me back my life.

"The one absolute, unselfish friend that man can have in this selfish world -- the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous -- is his dog." -George G. Vest

Offline Tameesha

• Owner Trainer
  • Board Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 10:14:00 PM »
So since pulling out those books and refreshing myself with them I noted both on the cover and inside of the book it states 2-3 times that the puppy book is intended for "puppies" 0-2 years. The dog one does not have an age but based on the tricks there are a lot that anyone educated on growth wouldn't teach until a dog is 2. I decided to make a goal to teach Indy every trick in the 51 trick book before he reaches age 2 (June 2013) that doesn't require me to purchase or make a prop (one example is a mailbox, I don't have a traditional mailbox and won't for as long as I live in the city, a dorm, or apartment so I see no use in buying one). I think it's a fun goal and doable since Indy knows most of the things already or variations.